Chapter 31

(Michael)

It was a hot sunny day when an expensive looking SUV pulls up to the ranch. The four of us are lounging out on the porch trying to cool ourselves down from a long hard day of work. 

"who's that?" Ashton asks. I shrug, keeping my eyes closed. 

"no one from around here that's for sure." Calum says, sitting up to look at what Ashton is looking at. 

"Hey Mike, anyone you know with a blacked out Escalade?" Ashton asks. 

"huh?" I sit up now too, confused. I dont know anyone around here that doesnt drive a pickup.

"that's weird. hey Luke" i cut myself off when I look at the sound asleep blonde next to me. 

"Hey isnt that Luke's mom?" Calum asks, drawing my attention back. 

"what?" i look up with wide eyes, back to the fancy car. that is his mom. 

"Michael? oh my gosh that is you! oh and Ashton and Calum too! it's so good to see you boys" she grins and rushes over to us, pulling me into a bone crushing hug then following suit with the other two. all the while Luke is sound asleep. 

"annnd my kid is asleep. typical." she laughs. 

"hey Lukey make up" i reach over and shake his shoulder. 

"what?" he mumbles.

"hey Luke guess who's here." I say as he still has his eyes closed. 

"hmm" he opens his eyes and sits up, yawning. then he spots his mom and a grin forms on his face.

"mom?!" he shoots up from his spot and bolts to hug his mom, but not before he trips on my leg. 

"what are you doing here? you didnt even call" he asks her all the while with a grin on his face. 

"well i figured i would come here to tell yoou the good news." she says and in that moment my heart fell to my stomach. she came to take him back. Ash and Cal must sense the sadness that over takes me because they both throw an arm over my shoulders.

"good news?" he tilts his head at her. 

"yes, lets go inside first, i would like to see my brother in law and thank him for taking care of you. you look so good, do you actually have biceps now?" she jokes at the end, squeezing his arm. 

"we call them rancher muscles" calum laughs as we all file into the front door. Luke calling for his uncle as he walks in ahead of us. 

"whats up.. Liz?" john trails off as he walks into the kitchen wiping something off of his hands in the process. 

"surprise, long time no see" she smiles at him, walking over and pulling him into a hug. 

"it has been way too long Liz, and where is my little brother then?"

"he had to stay in New York, some last minute things to take care of."

"you came all the way here by yourself?" he asks and she laughs.

"i think you have forgotten, we travel all over the world for work, i'm no stranger to traveling alone."

"true true, so what brings you here so suddenly? taking Luke back to America already?" he half jokes but when he sees my face he slightly frowns. 

"actually, yes. thatch what I came here for, Luke you are in high demand right now. the whole drug issue was dealt with and since you have rarely been in the news no one remembers it. You're father and i have worked out a contract with your label, you are going to come back and start a world tour in New York along with writing and recording a new album."