Chapter 10

Luke makes his way back to the overhang 10 minutes later. I've busied myself with setting up camp seeing as we only have a few hours till sunset. When the rest of us come up here we only bring food water and sleeping bags. along with our other survival gear of course, can never be too careful. I am currently gathering wood to make a fire when Luke makes his appearance. 

 "Fire?" He asks, startling me a bit. I dint hear him walk up. 

"ya" I tell him, not looking up from the match mi trying to light.

"were sleeping here?" he asks. I finally look up at him and he is standing over me with what looks like a paper in his hands, looking at the small shelter I built against the rock face. 

"ya." I brush him off, standing up once I get the fire going.

"why wont you talk to me now?" he asks sounding upset. i roll my eyes.

"what do you think?" i spit. I probably have no right to be angry with him right now but i cant help it. He left 8 years ago without saying anything to me and then a year later when my parent's died and  I needed him he was gone and i had no way of talking to him. granted he doesn't know what happened to my parents but i'm still mad. 

"are you mad that i forgot who you were?" he asks following me as I walk back over to the small shelter. I tied a tarp over the opening of the small cave and put two sleeping bags inside. I grab the second tarp and lay it out by the fire on the grass. when we come here we usually just lay out under the stars, we don't bring tents but i don't know Luke any more and he probably wont want to be so open to nature at night.

"I don't care that you don't know who I am, i didn't know who you were either, your uncle made me go to that stupid bonfire. You played the song we wrote together."

"oh" he whispers.

"ya." I get up and walk back over to the fire. I sit down and poke it with a stick, Ignoring Luke but he follows me.

"look Michael" he starts to say, sitting down next to me.

"I'm sorry i didn't know who you were, but you cant really be bad because you didn't know who I was either." he tells me.

"that's not why I'm mad." I deadpan.

"then why are you being so cold to me? i almost prefer you when you didn't know who I was." 

"gee thanks Luke" i roll my eyes.

"that's not what i meant and you know that. seriously, you were fine with me when you only knew my name, what happened?" he asks. really? he doesn't know?

"Luke, you left 8 years ago without telling any of us. You didn't even try to contact us and then all of a  sudden your back here and your some stuck up brat that's doing drugs. how do you expect me to react?" 

"come on, you can't still be mad that i left?"

"I'm not. I mean, ya, i am but Luke, I didn't expect to see my best friend after 8 years and have him be this famous drug addict and want nothing to do with anyone who cares about him. You treat your uncle like shit. You should be grateful that he was willing to take you. your parents could have sent you to rehab instead. You've changed Luke, and it's not for the best. ya i know you grew up, i did too but seriously? You're a whole other person, the kid i knew, the one that was my best friend, he loved living out here, he loved the horses and the dogs and the mountains. all he wanted to do was camp and make music." I ramble and in the middle of my rant i can see his face turn cold. 

"you know nothing about my life Michael! last time you saw me we were 14! were 22 now. You cant expect me to still be this naive little kid? I grew up, i experienced the world and i made friends. I know what it's like outside of this small town, i don't expect you guys to get it."