Chapter 29

(Luke)

"Luke.." Ashton breaks the silence that has taken over the truck for the past half hour since we left the hospital.

"ya?" i whisper, facing away from him and out the window, watching the world go bye.

"what are you going to do at the end of the summer?" his question stumps me. what am i going to do? it seems so far off, going back to New York, back touring and traveling the world. i shrug.

"i haven't even thought about it to be honest. it's up to my mom when i get to go back."

"i know, but when the time comes and she tells you you can go back, are you going to just drop everything here and leave?" i sigh at that because i have actually thought about that. i want more than anything to go back to touring and meeting  fans all over the world. but on the other hand it's not the same anymore, I don't think it will never be the same. when I came here almost three months ago I hated even the idea of my parents sending me back here. but then I reunited with my uncle and my childhood best friends and i don't know i guess i forgot about being famous and wanting more than anything to be rid of this place.

"I want to go back, believe me that's what i want more than anything, but being here, seeing all of you again just brought my life back into perspective. Before i didn't care who I hurt, as long as i was having fun in the process i was fine. But i realized here that that's not who i am, it never was, it was a wall i put up because i was a scared 14 year old thrust into the spotlight. so to answer your question, no. i'm going to go back because this is all i have ever wanted to do, but i'm not going to leave any of this behind. I've made too many memories here and i don't want to be known to the world as the kid who gets everything he wants and then spends his time doing drugs and cussing out paparazzi." 

~~

"you go get Levi and i'll get him some clothes, good?" I nod and Ash and I part ways. the rest of the ride after our intense conversation was silent. i don't think i said what he wanted to hear, but it's my life, I've worked too hard to throw it all away.

It's unusual for it to be quiet on the ranch, you can always hear the horses and dogs but today it seams the animals know what's happened. you can still hear the horses but they aren't as lively as before, probably because it's all new staff taking care of them. john got the neighboring ranch to tend to the animals while we're all at the hospital. but the dogs are silent. usually there are four that come running when they hear one of our trucks but that didn't happen when we pulled in.

 I walk around to the door of the barn the dogs sleep in and find all of them laying down. they seem depressed. 

"hey guys" i whistle quietly to get their attentions. They look up and wag their tails and only a few come over to me. 

"Levi?" i call for him but receive no answer. 

"Levi?" i try again but am startled by a voice i have never heard before. 

"you're looking for Levi?" they ask and i spin around on my heel to face a girl a little bit older than me. i nod. 

"oh pour boy is so sad, he won't eat or drink and he hasn't left Michael's room in days. i frown, thanking her and walking back to the house to go find him.

"Ash have yo- Luke come here" Ashton cuts me off when i walk into the house calling for him. 

"what's up?" i ask, walking over to him. he's standing outside Michael's bedroom door. he just points into the room and when i get closer i frown again. Levi is laying on Michael's bed, his ears are back and he doesn't even lift his head when we walk in. I sit next to him on the bed and sigh at the whine he lets out when i pet his head. 

"you miss Mikey don't you"  he lifts his head only to place it on my thigh.

"i have his clothes, i'm going to take a quick shower, why don't you do the same and we can leave." i nod, standing up and petting the sad dog one last time before walking into one of the two bathrooms in the house, turning on the water, and letting the heat relax my stiff muscles from sleeping in hospital chairs.

~

"come on Levi let's go see Michael" i say, watching as the modeled coated dog perks up a bit from his depressed state. "come on boy" i open the back of the truck and let him jump in before climbing in myself. he's the only one we are taking,so we can fit him in the cab with us. he settles down after a moment, laying in my lap. i gently stroke his fur, making his tail thump against my leg slightly.

"well let's go make two sad boys happy." Ash says, starting up the truck and pulling back onto the highway to start the two hour drive back.

~~~

(Michael)

"Mikey you awake?" I hear Calum's voice to my left. as i open my eyes and lift my hands to rub the sleep from them, i realize two are missing. 

"where did Ash and Luke go?" i ask, yawning. 

"back to the ranch to get you some clothes" John tells me.

"and some much needed showers" Calum laughs. 

"when can I go home?" i ask after a moment, looking to john.

"day after tomorrow. doctors want to run a few more tests to make sure you're lungs are ok." i nod and sign leaning back into the pillow of the surprisingly comfortable hospital bed.

"I wonder how Levi is, he's probably upset. i wish he was here" i frown, playing with the sheet that covers my body. 

"did someone order man's best friend?" the door swings open and like a bolt of lightning, a streak of brown and white is shooting into the room and onto my bed.

"Levi!!!" i cry excitedly and laugh as he relentlessly whines and licks my face. everyone around me is laughing at his antics. 

"ok Levi, i missed you too buddy" i hug my dog close. 

"one of the girls helping out on the ranch said he hasn't eaten or drank anything since we left and that he wouldn't even leave your bedroom." Luke says and i frown. 

"I'm sorry we had to leave you there buddy. you are the best dog in the whole world." i speak to him, his tongue lol's out of his mouth and he yips as if agreeing with me.

"he deserves so many cuddles and treats for what he did, he saved your life." Luke says. i shyly look up at the blond in front of me searching his face for something that would give away what's on his mind.

"you saved my life Luke, stop blaming it on yourself and take the gratitude." i scold him softly. he just silently nods, looking down to play with his fingers.

"so what are we going to do for two days till Michael is released?" Ashton asks, breaking Luke and i out of our awkward exchange. why is it all so weird between us now? He has to know that no one blames him, he had no idea anything like this was going to happen. 

"come here Lukey" i whisper his old nickname that i made up so long ago and hold my arms out for him. he smiles small and sits next to me. allowing me to wrap my arms around him and pull him to lay back on the bed with me.

"were watching Disney movies. Tangled is on" i tell him. 

"wait what? you know what Tangled is but you had never heard of my music?!" he whines offended, making all of us laugh and me to shush him because the movie was starting.