Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

*Olivia Harper*

I lay on my back on the bed, staring up at the ceiling. I felt uneasy, and stupid.

Over the years, since mum had died, I’d managed to keep every feeling bottled up safely inside. I didn’t want anyone to know, or to feel sorry for me. I knew they did anyway, and I hated it. I hated the sad look in people’s eyes when they watched me, knowing that I’d lost the reason for my existence and that I was suffering. What was it to them, if I was suffering? It was my problem, not theirs.

But Harry. How had Harry managed to get me to open up to him? And the worst part was, he didn’t even try, he didn’t even ask me. I told him—like an idiot, I let everything spill out.

I wondered why it was so easy to talk to him. I recalled his perfectly still form, his piercing green eyes watching me curiously as I spoke, and he listened silently. The disgusting pity that I saw in other people’s eyes was never there in Harry’s eyes when I talked about mum. His smile was strangely comforting, and it would ease the pain that would come along with remembering the fact that I didn’t have my mother anymore.

I felt comfortable with Harry. That was the truth, and I would never admit it out loud. I would never even have admitted it to myself. His presence made me feel relaxed, and for some strange reason, it made feel safe. When I was with Harry, I felt like no matter problem I was going to have to face, I’d be able to face it. I was suddenly becoming a lot more dependant on this curly haired boy, and I wasn’t sure if I liked it. I didn’t want him to affect me in any other way except physically, like he was supposed to.

I couldn’t help but wonder if my deal with Harry was turning out to be more than just what it was supposed to be about.

—-

*Harry Styles*

I walked out of class, feeling good. Great, I thought to myself, a free period. And after having to endure my economic’s teacher drone on and on about supply and demand, it was a well deserved free period.

To my surprise, as I was stuffing my books into my locker, Lexi walked up to me.

“Hey, Harry!” she said brightly. I smiled at her.

“Hi, there.” I replied. I recalled the day at Niall’s house, when Lexi had kissed me. That reminded me of Olivia’s face when she watched us, and I had to hold back a smirk.

“I was wondering if you were free this evening.” she said.

“Why?”

“You see,” she said, “I need help with my French homework. My grades are horrible, and if I don’t get any help, I’m going to fail in the test that’s coming up next week. Your french is good, right?”

I shrugged. “Decent, I guess.”

“Will you help me, then?” she asked, looking up at me from under her lashes. “Please?”

I nodded. “Sure.” I told her.

“Great!” she said happily, and to my surprise, she jumped up to kiss my cheek. “Thank you, you’re a sweet heart. I’ll see you at my house then? I’ll text you the address.”

“Erm, sure.” I agreed, and watched her skip off to her next class.

—-

I knocked on Olivia’s classroom door, and waited for the teacher to open the door. He did so, and looked at me questioningly.

“Can I help you, Mr. Styles?”

“Sir,” I said in a polite tone, “Ms. Grant wants Olivia to meet her in the staff room. She says it’s urgent.”