Chapter One

The Winter Soldier.

A Hydra agent.

A deadly weapon.

A completion of over two dozen assassinations in the past fifty years.

Put in cryo freeze when not needed.

Brain washed, confused, and running.

She had read it all before. It was nothing new. Nothing useful. Nothing that could help Rogers find his long lost friend.

Sighing, she attempted one last search.

"Hydra locations."

Millions of hits appeared on the screen, each and every one filled to the brim with thirty secrets of Hydra.

"Map of Locations of Secret Hydra Bases."

Clicking on it, the site contained a map of the world, every single Hydra infrastructure pinned down.

She glanced inadvertently at the now widely known locations.

Moscow.

Kiev.

Berlin.

Warsaw.

Budapest.

Oslo.

Bucharest.

All searched.

No sign of the man once known as Bucky.

She sighed. Maybe the Winter Soldier was just a ghost story. Maybe he wanted to remain one.

Giving up, she went to slam the laptop down. 

That's when she saw it.

Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Rummaging through her files, she found it. The list of all the Hydra outposts that Rogers had searched.

There was no Halifax.

For the first time in weeks, she felt a spark of hope, like she had finally made some progress.

Grabbing her phone, she messaged Rogers.

"Steve. Halifax."

Clicking on the Halifax pin, she sent Rogers as much information as she could.

"'44°, 38', 52". 63°, 34', 17". Heart of the Capital. Underground.'"

Feeling satisfied, she closed her laptop and lay back on her pillows, suddenly feeling quite exhausted.

~~~

Just as slumber started to overcome her tired mind, a vibration violently shook the tower.

"What the hell was that?" She said aloud, jumping out of bed.

Suddenly, a crisp beeping was heard. Someone was signalling her.

"This is Doctor Stark," she answered picking her earpiece up and placing it in her ear.

"Explosion down in lab seven. Injuries are already being reported. They need you down there. Stat."

"On my way," she said, grabbing her medical bag.

"Caden," the person said sternly in her ear. "Be cautious. Banner's down there."

She stopped, processing the words. "Understood."

She made her way to the elevator, instructing J.A.R.V.I.S., "Basement three, please."

When she reached the floor, the elevator doors opened, revealing clouds of smoke. It filled Caden's lungs, a taste of soot in her mouth.