Pushing The Limits

Lucifer decided to tell me, as we were leaving, that we had gone to Pat's mother's house. Like...why the fuck would we come to the house of a gang member's mom? What kind of sick game was this? He claimed he needed to come here to retrieve the vehicle and some keys.

"He knew I'd come here. He forced my hand the second he threatened you" Lucifer had said when we started discussing the matter in the new white Ford explorer.

"He was your friend" I had mumbled, looking out the window. He didn't say anything after that. He wasn't a person of many words. Usually I would consider that a good thing, but when you were sharing a car in a long ass road trip, it was bad. And boring. I continued to sleep as much as I could, the new hum of the vehicle putting me to sleep. A couple of hours later I woke up to Lucifer listening to country music. Was that Billy Currington?

This man was full of surprises.

"Are we in North Carolina?" I asked groggily, trying to sit up. Lucifer passed me a bottle of water that I took gratefully. 

"Yes" was all he said.

"I don't know where my sister is" I finally said, and Lucifer froze, then oh so slowly  turned his face towards me.

"You have been the most annoying thing since I don't know how long, asking me to bring you to your sister-"

"I know"

"And after driving this long-"

"I know"

"You have no idea where she's at?" he asked with a terrifying calm voice. I hated that voice. I bit my bottom lip and looked down, feeling like a small child getting yelled at. After a moment, Lucifer sighed and leaned back on his seat, his nose flaring.

"You called CPS on your mom eh?" he asked suddenly, and I looked away, my hands fumbling with the edge of my shirt. I nodded quietly.

"Usually CPS puts the kids with a foster family unless there's nobody available. We might not know where she is but I do know something. If they found her a foster home in the same town, they won't change her from schools. They usually wanna keep the kids in a normal routine before doing anything extreme" he said in a low tone. I looked at him again, studying him quietly.

"Did they? Move you away and that's why you ran way?" I asked but I knew the answer even though he wouldn't agree or not. I looked down, and I couldn't believe what my brain was starting to process.

I thought I had a fucked-up childhood, but Lucifer had it worse. From what I knew, he had been from one foster home to another, he ran away, then got involved with this gang thing. No family? No loved ones?

At least I had my sister and we had been together, until now. Yes, my parents were fuck ups, but at least they were there. Where were Lucifer's parents?

"Does that mean-"

"Our only chances are to try and find her at the school she was attending. We don't have any other leads, so we'll have to start there" Lucifer cut me off. I nodded quietly and after giving him directions we were on the way. I was bouncing with nerves and excitement, desperate see my sister's face, make sure she was fine and in one piece. She was merely in kindergarten, and although she was about to turn six and she should be in first grade, the teacher thought it would be best if they kept her one more year, just to make sure she wouldn't be behind. She was a small little thing.

Thirty minutes later we were parking near the school. It was a small building that barely held the three preschool grades. The single-level building was way too colorful to handle at a time like this, it almost annoyed the happiness it tried to bring. I opened the door, my eyes searching the play ground where all of the kids were playing right now.