When We're Apart

THE FOLLOWING SCENES ARE MEANT FOR READERS OVER 18+ FOR SCENES OF ABUSE. READER'S DISCRETION ADVISED

When I opened my eyes, brightness blinded me and I was forced to shut my eyes quickly at the burning in my eyes. I was laying on a table. A hard and cold wood table. I had to blink multiple times to clear my vision, but it was too blurry. Slowly I realized I had a bulb hanging on top of me which was forcing me to wince against the pounding headache I had. The next thing I realized is that I was tied to said table. My wrists and ankles bound by rope that was tied to the legs of the table. I tried to take a deep breath to calm my erratic heart. Keeping my eyes open is slits I looked around and saw cement walls, high ceilings and looking at the top I could see the high windows which would allow enough light in during the day. But It was night and the only light came from the lightbulb on top of me and about three more hanging lined up in a perfect line. Metal pipes covered the ceiling and I knew I was in some old warehouse or old factory.

"What the fuck..." my whisper echoed and bounced off the walls. This was a dirty place, covered in dead leaves and rubble. An abandoned warehouse maybe. Whoever brought me here had to be close. I could see as far as the light shining permitted. It wasn't much, and I couldn't see a door or anything else other than walls and high windows there was no way I could reach. It had to be late because the temperature was lowering, and it was starting to chill my bones. I had been wearing sweatpants and a tank top at the hotel and that's exactly what I had on, but it wouldn't keep me warm for long. It was November and the temperature in North Carolina was terrible this time of the year.

Why was I here? I thought they only wanted to kill me, so why not just get done with it?

"I hope your accommodations are to you liking?"

My head whipped, and my eyes connected with blue. The Boss

Vladimir

"What the fuck is going on?" I asked quietly. My throat was so dry I could barely lick my lips. The less I talked the better it would be considering my throat my burning. Even I had self-preservation at his point. Vladimir was dressed in a simple blue button down with black slacks, carrying a black briefcase and what looked like a folded white table. I kept my eyes on his, trying to get an idea of what he was trying to do.

"We're gonna play a little game, Emmaline. You tell me what I wanna know, and you get a free pass" he said, and I frowned

"A free pass for what?" I asked, already scared of the answer

"On not losing your fingers" he said, unfolding the white plastic table. My stomach twisted, and acid rose. Was he intending to chop me to pieces or something?

"I don't have any information that you want. I don't know anything" I mumbled. It was the truth.

"I'm sure our boy Lucas must've dropped a thing or two" he said with smile that only managed to give me the creeps.

"Where's Mel?" I asked quietly watching him lay the briefcase on top of the table and start pulling tools out. I tried not to panic at the sight of needles and knives being brought out.

He was going to torture me.

"She's keeping and eye on your man. Don't worry, she won't hurt him" he said and chuckled as if it was a joke.

"Where am I?" I asked, and Vladimir dropped a sharp scalpel and slapped his hands on the table, the boom echoing making me jump. His outburst made me realize the severity of the situation and I held my composure when he smiled at me like a maniac.

"I don't think you are in the position of asking questions...niece" he said with a plastered smile on his face. Fucking psycho. I stayed quiet after that, looking away, not wanting to stare at the tools he was about to use on me. If this is how I was gonna die, I was gonna go with dignity. I tried to ignore the fact he was setting up what appeared to be a small white camera, the kind you hooked on top of a laptop.