Heart of Steel

"She needs an ambulance"

"We can't just call-"

"Get her a fucking ambulance before I fucking kill you right now!"

Lucas' voice was always so strong, full of authority. He always made me tremble.

"Emma, baby, I'm getting you help, I promise you" There it was again. His voice, such a sweet yet intimidating sound, it always brought me back. My body always reacted to the sound of his voice.

But I was so tired. My body was on fire and in pain.

"I'm not brining her to a hospital; There will be too many questions to be answered-"

I heard the click of a gun

"I will blow your brains out. I don't care if you're her father"

There was a moment of silence and I wanted to open my mouth and tell Lucas to stop

"I will have a doctor treat her at my house-"

"No you are NOT! I don't care if the fucking FBI shows up. I'm taking her to a hospital, and you better get the fuck out of my way"

"I'm not letting my daughter die"

"You're letting her die every fucking second you get in my way"

There was silence and I felt Lucas' arms tense up. Were we on the floor? My mouth was covered in dryness and dust. I needed water to rinse my mouth.

"You're gonna make a fine husband"

"Get the fuck out of my way" Lucas' arms scooped me up

My body shut down after that

It felt like seconds passed when I was able to hear more noises, but the prickling of needles shook me awake.

"Emma, you're in good hands, We're gonna take care of you" it was a woman's voice. Who is she?

Many voices arose in the background, a beeping echoing. More pain and I felt myself push away, trying to get away from the pain

"She's lost too much blood"

"Emma, you need to stop moving. Please baby" that was Lucas. I wanted him. I wanted his warmth. Please don't leave me

A noise broke the silence in the room. Something between a whine and a sob.

Then I realized it was me.

Why couldn't I open my eyes?

"She's burning up. We need to take her to the OR now"

More needles. More sobbing and groaning.

"Emma, open your eyes. Look at me"

At his command my eyes flew open and met his. His dark eyes were soft, above me as he held me down. I was in a white room. His lips were set in a thin line as he hovered.

There were more people in the room, moving around, bringing blankets, but I could only see him. I couldn't look away.

"Please" My voice came out broken, in a slur. I could barely breathe correctly but I wasn't scared. As long as Lucas was here, I wasn't scared.

"I need you to be very still, baby. You're gonna feel better soon. I promise you" he was saying, his eyes never looking away from mine. He was still dirty, his face smeared with blackness and dried blood staining his forehead and temple.