The Heat

"Find anything you like?" Lucifer asked.

I looked around the high-end boutique we walked into. Lucifer had seen the place when we were checking in and it was in a little corner near the lobby. It had beautiful dark brick walls, lined up with Hollywood style lights that shone down on mannequins with delicate garments. I couldn't keep my eyes away from the big chandeliers hanging from different heights. I looked up to see a second level lined up with more design clothes.

"I mean...what do you think would be best?" I asked, biting my nail? I didn't wear clothes like this, like ever. First because I didn't go out, and I wasn't even twenty-one yet, no friends or good places to go back home. And secondly, there was no way in hell I could afford clothes like this with a waitress salary.

"Well, we're going to the night life in downtown Chicago" he said, his eyes settled on mine, arms crossed

"So...dress like a hoe, you mean?" I asked with raised eyebrows

Monte busted out laughing in the corner of the store and Lucifer raised an eyebrow, completely unaware of the employee giving him the filthy eye.

"That's not what I meant, and you know it" he mumbled, checking clothes out. I rolled my eyes and walked around the place, trying to get a sense of the styles.

"Can I help you?" the long-legged employee finally came over and asked. I turned my head and realized she was asking Lucifer.

Not me

Clothes are for me... not him. Hence the women's clothes only boutique...

And Lucifer was smiling at her!

I tried to smooth out my frown and cleared my throat, suddenly very annoyed with everybody in this place.

"Yes, can you help us find her an outfit? We plan on sight seeing the night life today, and we wanna be...visually acceptable" Lucifer said, winking at the employee that seemed to forget I was standing between her and Lucifer.

I thought about sticking my foot out, or accidently knocking a vase over.

"Of course, I'll be happy to. Are we looking at anything particular?" she said, looking me up and down like she was trying to figure out what kind of style to get me. I clenched my jaw, slowly crossing my arms over my chest.

"Yes, I was thinking something black... maybe tight in all the right places?" Lucifer said, matching my crossed arms stance. Monte cleared his throat. The employee's mouth twitched.

"I may have a couple of options, yes" she said, walking towards some mannequins.

Suddenly, I wanted to get the heck out.

"Okay, it's settled. This is where we part ways. We'll be upstairs" Lucifer said, handing me over a thick wad of cash and turning around quickly to leave.

Well there goes nothing.

And the perky employee literally looked very deflated watching Lucifer go.

I didn't want her help anymore, so I just walked my own way and picked a somewhat cute dress that I didn't think would fit me, but whatever. A good ten or fifteen minutes later I was buying the dress, some strappy black heels and a pink lip-gloss that was displayed at the checkout counter. Walking out of the boutique with my bag felt refreshing and I wasn't ready to go back to the suffocating room with those two. So I decided to wander around the lobby. Soon enough I found a beautiful patio with a restaurant and a bar. It was out in the open, filled with plants and flowers and lined with multiple modern fountains. Couples and groups sat alongside lounge chairs, sipping their overly expensive cocktails while conversing and laughing. You could literally feel the overprivileged vibe from these young people.