15: Until The Toll Is Paid

In the morning after the incident...

Lucas laid on his parents' bed, still a little pale.

He was sound asleep while Lucy was sitting on a chair at the bedside next to him.

"He'll be fine," Wendy started,

"I gave him a general medicine that I recently formulated. It counteracts the effects of several kinds of poisons. Don't worry, this medication is safe."

She was speaking to Natsu. His eyes not leaving the view of Lucas and Lucy in front of him.

After the previous night's event, Wendy had given the heir treatment as quickly as possible. A fact about her was that she was as good as five skilled doctors combined into one.

Wendy was the Family's ace, a very useful member for being a 'child genius'. She even had her own laboratory back at Fernandes estate.

At such a young age, she had the capability of performing operations on curable illnesses. She even saved Lucy's life once before. For this, she earned the Don's trust.

"How did you know it was poison?" Zeref asked, he was in the room as well.

"To be honest, I didn't," she answered truthfully,

"But since my medicine worked, I can surely say that it was poison indeed. Besides, judging by Lucas' background, he doesn't have any health problems. So I made a conclusion that whatever he ate, it had poison in it. The question is, where did the poison come from?...and who did it?"

Zeref slowly nodded in understanding.

"The last thing he ate last night was the cake. The one Lisanna made," he said.

"Has it been disposed? I need someone to get me a sample. I have to take it back to the lab and run tests on it."

"No need," Zeref guaranteed, "It's all taken care of, Laxus had it kept. He will hand it to you as soon as possible."

Wendy nodded, she left the room not long after that.

Sensing that he should leave as well, the older Dragneel spoke before excusing himself,

"Brother..." he started.

But Natsu didn't avert his eyes away from the bed where Lucas was.

"I will see if Rufus Lore has found anything suspicious going on in China."

Just as he expected, Natsu had no reaction at whatever he just said. He slightly bent his head down before leaving.

Now that they left, there was silence in the room again.

Natsu could hear Lucy's quiet sniffs. She had been awake all night, watching over their son. Even after fainting due to stress. Actually, everyone in the compound was wide awake. Each armed as if expecting an enemy to take advantage of the Family's dilemma.

"Lucy..." he started.

There was no response.

"You need to rest. I'll take care of our boy."

Still nothing.

Seconds already passed by and there was still silence, mixed with sniffles and light breathing of a sleeping child.

Looking at the scene...it was unbelievable for him. He never would have thought he would see them in such a weak and vulnerable state.

He was the Father of the strongest Mafia.

And yet, he still felt...

Useless.

He turned to leave and headed towards the door.