Intro

Rest

What happens when you hear that word?

Do you immediately dismiss the ideas, thinking it will never happen for you?

After all, you think, my life is too busy for me to take a break and rest.

Or does your heart cry out in longing? Does your body crave a reprieve from the hustle and bustle of your days? Does your entire being desperately desire rest?

These days, rest can seem inclusive. It appears more like a mirage than something we can full experience, and when we do experience some sort of rest, it often feels too short. In between deadlines at work, demanding schedules, young children, busy teens, elderly parents, friends and bills that need to be paid, we've lost our ability to rest well.

We are in overdrive. We run to and from meetings and obligations, scarfing down a hurried dinner.

We also collapse on the couch at the end of the day, seeking nothing more than a way to numb our tired, aching brains. Does this sound familiar, friend?

There is good news. There is hope. There is rest, deep fulfilling, life-giving rest that you truly have to the fullest. Yes, you.

If you're searching for a way to rest- if you're looking to satisfy the deep, God-given yearning in your soul and to quiet the buzzing in your mind that comes from too much activity and not enough downtime- this devotional is for you.

The Lord Jesus spoke candidly about the topic of rest.

He knew that we humans would struggle over and over to get the rest we needed.
That's why, in Matthew 11:28-29, He said, "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for i am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for you souls."

Doesn't that sound pretty nice? Jesus speaks the truth- and ONLY the truth. When He says He will give you rest, He means it. When He says you will find rest for your soul, you will.

So take a deep breath, relax your shoulders, and let your thoughts unwind. Before beginning this journey, ask the Lord to reveal Himself and His truth to you like never before. Before beginning this journey, ask the Him to show you how to live a restful life 365 days of the year.

May you approach each day with renewed hope for rest.

May you breathe deeply.

May you grasp the life-changing importance of stillness.

May you experience the Lord and His deep love for you.

May you find rest for your soul.

| Bible Verse |

In Peace I will lie down and sleep,

for you alone, LORD,

make me dwell in safety. —Psalm 4:8