Emptiness

You woke up. House was quiet. Strangely quiet. „I have a Deja Vu" You thought, standing up. You were hoping that they'd eventually return like before. Perhaps they were at work? Maybe Ciel was searching for spell books in the library where Lawrence worked.

You knocked on his bedroom door anyway, then checked bathrooms.

— He is probably with Lawrence. — You mumbled, grabbing a phone to call Lawrence and ask if Ciel was there, knowing that Ciel would say something sour for interrupting whatever he was doing.

Surprisingly, you heard ring from Lawrence's room.

— The hell? Lawrence left phone at home? He is supposed to be in a library now. — You mumbled and decided to call Ciel, just to hear ring from Ciel's room.

— What the hell is wrong with these guys leaving phones at home? I have a bad feeling about this. Could it be that... everyone figured out truth and Ciel ordered his butler to get rid of them? And then Sebastian decided that it was a good time to eat his meal... then he left. No, no! How'd they find out everything at the same time? I don't see any sign of violence either... damn, I'm thinking too much. — You entered the kitchen. It was pretty empty, which meant that Grey visited it not very long time ago. You stared at the apron with cat paw prints. You've found it few days ago and decided to buy and give it to Sebastian. He loved the gift, however, you were regretting it because you could see him spacing out while rubbing paws on his apron, he became kinda slower and Grey started whining about how much he was starving.

— Even if he were to slaughter everyone and disappear, he wouldn't leave this behind, would he? — You sighed in relief.

You heard footsteps and turned around. It was your mother.

— Crap. That bottomless stomach guy ate everything. Again. — She whined as she opened the fridge just to find a lot of empty space and few less delicious stuff Grey didn't find nibble–worthy. You could hear her stomach grumbling loudly.

— You still can't remember his name?

— That's not important. What matters is his appetite. — She said, frowning and grabbing one of Grey's rejected meals.

You left the kitchen, continuing to search for them. At least Gregory was supposed to be at home, right? He felt much better by now, though. Perhaps he was out to see his friends or just take a walk?

You explored his room, noticing his sketchpad on the floor. You narrowed your eyes, picking it up. There was no way he'd leave it like this.

Sketchbook was open, however, instead of drawing, you could see text. It seemed to be his, but it looked like he was in haste when writing, so it wasn't very easy to read.

I feel weird. I think I'm leaving. Probably it's not just me... don't look at other pages. I will miss you. Take care of yourself, okay?

— No. It can't be truth. It must be some kind of evil prank. He loves scaring people, doesn't he? — You looked around, trying to not to look scared. — This isn't funny! You all can come out now!

Silence.

Footsteps.

It's just your mother, again.

— Did you say something? — She asked.

— Nothing, — You mumbled, peeking into sketchpad, dying to know what was he drawing this whole time, though you kinda knew it already, thanks to Edgar.

Sketchpad was full of random drawings, mostly it was you, sometimes you with him, his friends, view from his window or Grey being eaten by monsters and... food? One page was missing. Perhaps he didn't like drawing? Or was he trying to take it with him? If so, he probably failed, since soon you've found missing page behind his bed, along with pile of his clothes. It was one of your portraits, however, it was more detailed an beautiful. No, it was less likely that he considered it as failed drawing. He probably put more time and effort in this portrait, so he wanted to keep it.

In fact, you've found misplaced clothes in Ciel's room too, but you didn't pay attention to it, thinking that he was waiting for his butler to get back home after work and take care of messy room.

— This is a joke, right? They can't be really gone. No!

— At least now we can eat properly. — Your mother said.

— NO! How can you say that?! — You protested, already feeling tears burning your eyes.

— And we still live in big house. — She added, not knowing how to calm you down.

— Are you kidding me?! I don't need this big, empty house! I want them back, even in our old home, even in animal form, no matter how selfish it might sound...

— I'll try to summon them again.

— We can't. Ciel will be pissed. He'll probably kill us both... And Sebastian may get mad too... But Gregory... he needs to be away from there... he needs someone to babysit him all the time so he won't get in trouble again. That's it. We're doing it, even if it's kinda dangerous both for us and for them.

— Are you sure it's a good idea to summon murderers and demon?

You shrugged. Yes, it was dangerous, yet, life wasn't really worth without it. Departure was just too painful to continue living normally, as if nothing happened. You couldn't even express your feelings for them properly. You couldn't even say farewell.

— I'm doing it. Where is that spell?

— Are you sure that they're really gone? At least make sure before you'll use spell. Who knows what'll happen if they're still here...

You heard Lawrence's phone ring again and you walked towards it. Your mother followed you.

— Hey, what's wrong? You're too late. You should warn me when you can't come. This isn't like you at all.

You turned phone off.

— Who was it? — Your mother asked.

— Lawrence's boss. I think they're really gone. He wouldn't slack off for a joke... Why'd they want to make me believe such a big, horrible lie? I'll ask again, where I can't find that spell?

Two of you visited website and found spell, however, none of you knew what else was needed.

— So, was that all? Did it work?

You peeked in every rooms and looked around home. There was no sign of an animals or humans.

— It didn't work. — You mumbled, — Maybe they'll appear little later? They'll return, right? Right?

Few days passed but none of them returned. You were thinking. It obviously wasn't prank and it didn't seem like they'd ever return. What if they just changed address? No. Why'd they leave without saying a word? Why'd they stop working? Why'd they leave their belongings? Why'd they leave you? Yet, you didn't want to believe that you'd never meet them again, so you kept searching for them hopelessly, you waited for them to return.

— Why don't you want to contact police?

— Good idea, mom. I'll go and say: Hey, I've lost fictional characters, can you help me find them? Also, ignore it if you'll accidentally find out that they have a fake documents. And don't even think that I'm behind their mysterious disappearance. Nothing is suspicious at all.

— Fine then. Just give up. You can't find them alone. They're most likely not in our world anymore and spell doesn't work for some reason. Perhaps it was one time use spell or needed something else, like special period of time. I have no idea. Just rest and eat something. You look like a skeleton.

— I'm not hungry.

— You eat even less now, than you were eating when he wasn't really leaving anything for us to eat...

— I don't want to eat. — You returned to your bedroom, where you had collected their belongings. Little feather, apron, eye patch, ring, colorful threads, book, cricket bat, red ribbon and sketchpad.

You've put the ring on your finger, hugging rest of the stuff before falling asleep to continue searching for them, even if it was just in your dreams.