My Night is Not Over

The war may have been over but my night was not. I climbed back up into the horse drawn carriage with Germany and ordered France take me back to Germany's house. I messaged Alfred and Mathew to meet me at Germany's house. We still had to do something about Lane.

In front of the German's house, I hopped from the buggy before France even drew it to a full stop. I rushed for the door but opened it quietly remembering I had told Prussia to put the boy to sleep. I clicked my way down the hall towards the room but I was met outside by a disheveled Prussia. "Big brother, how's he doing?"

"He finally vent to sleep. He cried for you for half ein hour, little zister," he said. "He vas not haby after you left."

"I want to see him." I heard my voice was soft but it rang with the combined sorrow and joy of my country. I stepped slowly towards the room but a low noise came from the bed room. I ran for the room, my motherly instincts kicking in. I opened the door. "What's wrong, Lane?"

The boy was sitting up in the bed with his arms around his knees. Tears streamed down his face as he blubbered nonsense about a monster. He spotted my in the door was and was at my feet within the second. "Don't leave again!" His arms wrapped around my torso as he cried into my bloodstained dress.

I set my hands on his head and stroked his hair. "Don't worry, Lane. I won't leave you." I looked back at Prussia. "Guess he wasn't sleeping well?"

"Did you haffe ein nightmare little one?" Prussia kneeled beside Lane. "It's okay. I told you zee avezome me vill help brodect you." That was the same thing Prussia had told me when I had a nightmare when I was little.

Lane shook his head into my dress and squeezed me tighter without looking at Prussia.

Prussia stood up and looked at me. "I don't know vat it is, Kinder. Kids uzually loffe me."

I didn't have the heart to tell him that I thought it might be that Lane was probably afraid of German men thanks to his father. "It's okay, Gilbert. I'll take it from here." I ran my fingers through his medium length hair. It was as long as Canada's and as greasy as America's as though he hadn't washed it in a few months. "Let's get you cleaned up now child." I led him towards the bathroom.

He kept his hand clutched tight in my dress which had caused him to become covered in blood. We had nearly reached the bathroom before he said anything. "Kinder... why did you leave?"

"I left to have a baby." I stared ahead as I knocked on the door before opening it to the empty bathroom. I set him down on the toilet and started the shower so the hot water would reach the shower head before he got in.

"Where is the baby at?" he asked innocently.

"He died, Lane."

There was a pause before Lane's arms were wrapped around my bloody dress. "I'm sorry, Kinder."

I patted his back. "It's okay, Lane. Now let's get you cleaned up." I pealed him off of me as a knock came at the door.

"Kinder?" The Canadian's voice floated through the door.

"Lane, I'm going to answer the door. I want you to get in the shower while I talk to Mathew." He nodded and I stepped back to the door. "I'll be right back, I promise." I slipped out the door and came face to face with Canada and America.

"Who's in there?" America asked.

"His name is Lane. He was the prince of my country." I sighed. "I shouldn't have left to go with you, Canada."

"What do you mean, Kinder?" Canada's voice was a little hurt.

"I put a child in harm's way by leaving. Lane was the next stop in his father's path of evil." I looked into his face. "It's my fault that he's in so much pain."