25|Orion|

| Lia |

"That's... How can you exactly break up with a mate?" I asked morosely. Cassy slipped her hand under the table and held mine.

Uncle Elias released a harsh breath before continuing, "You and your sister are special. If anyone can survive rejecting the mate pull, it will be the both of you. And you're not yet marked so it is still possible."

Losing all my appetite, I wiped my mouth with a napkin and stood up. "Please forgive me Uncle but I'm tired. I'd like to retire for the night. Tomorrow..." I cleared my throat and looked at anywhere but the Vulgari around me. "...tomorrow we can talk about this."

I couldn't sleep. I spent the first hour tossing and turning in my cot but sleep wouldn't come to me. Counting sheep wouldn't work either. 

We're killing his father.

Giving up on sleep, I sat up and piled another pillow on top of my current one to elevate my head. I reached for my phone and opened my photos app. I scanned my pictures and paused at one selfie that Theo and I made before I was discharged from the infirmary. He made losing felt like winning because he himself was already a prize.

No matter what, I'll be on your side.

I made small circles on the screen with my thumb, tracing the outline of Theo's face. His hair was tied in a low bun and his eyes had a pleasant sparkle but at the corners were evidence of tired lines probably from staying with me the whole night. A lone tear escaped my eye. Denial was my greatest shield but I couldn't keep lying to myself. I cared for him. A lot. He was kind and honest and everything a girl could ask for a soulmate.

I brought my phone down and stared at the ceiling, imagining every moment I spent with him. It was too fucking short. If I had known it would be that short, I would have... what exactly? There was nothing else I could have done.

Removing the extra pillow from my head, I tried to sleep again. This time, my eyelids fluttered heavily, and my last thoughts were that of Theo's lopsided smile.

I woke up at daybreak. With light steps, I crept out of the cabin and watched the battle of night and day. The warm orange hue of the sun was rising on the horizon, its rays piercing the darkness, shining the world with a new light.

Dropping on all fours, I growled first before initiating the shift, allowing my bones to realign and my skin to be fully covered by fur. I let my wolf lead, my subconscious lying back in the corner. She ran with exquisite grace, her restlessness from being afar from her mate evident. She explored the territory, savoring and familiarizing the scent of the forest. I pushed my consciousness to her when we reached the lake, pausing at enough distance to admire the sparkling clear water. The temperature had significantly risen up overnight and the snow was almost gone.

My hearing registered the approach of incoming wolves. Their scents were familiar so I stayed still and counted the footsteps, arriving at the conclusion that there were eight wolves in total. I turned around and faced them.

The russet wolf in the center shifted to Uncle Elias. "Lia?"

I wagged my tail in response.

He sat not too far from my wolf, a warm smile plastered on his face. "Derek has told me that you're a black wolf. But this is the first time I've seen it for myself. Your wolf is magnificent."

Shifting back to my human form, I sidled to Uncle Elias and sat beside him. "Thanks, Uncle."

"I'm sorry if I took you by surprise yesterday love," he said sincerely.