27|Home|

| Theo |

"Theo, stop thinking about that girl. Whoever she is, she's not worth it. When you meet your mate, you'll forget her instantly. Dad wants you back. Mom is hysterical. Our sisters are scared."

Blatantly ignoring Tessa who was hovering at the entrance of the gym, I kept the steady rhythm of my fists on the punching bag. They should have sent Tara, our eldest, instead of Tessa, my third sister. At least Tara would approach me calmly and with a cool mind. Tessa, on the other hand, always seemed like her mouth was made with a machine gun.

"Theo! Stop being so stubborn," she exclaimed, her voice laced with frustration. It had been a week since she arrived from the palace and all she ever did was pester me.

Leaving the bag, I walked to the bench and took a five-hundred-twenty-five-pound dumbbell. With a grunt, I started lifting. At the corner of my eye, I saw Malik enter the room and place a hand on Tessa's shoulder. Sighing heavily, my sister threw her hands in the air and left the room. But of course, Malik would continue for her. I should have locked the door.

"Theo," Malik began, his voice stern.

Choosing not to respond, the only sound that could be heard in the room were my labored breaths and the clinking of metal whenever I finish one lift.

"Theo," Malik repeated. "It's getting worse. Packs are slowly withdrawing their loyalty to the throne. Your father is livid. We're also losing a lot of good men. The rebels, they want your father's head. They want him to answer for all the murders of interracial couples. They're demanding to know why he agreed with the creation of the law."

Groaning, I placed the dumbbell back to its usual position. I sat up and relished the burn that I felt in my arms before grabbing a towel to wipe the sweat from my face.

"They actually have a point. You of all people should know that," I stated.

Malik clenched his jaw. He turned his back on me and walked to the mini bar at the corner of the gym and grabbed one bottle of cold water, and threw it at me.

I caught it with my left hand, opened it, and finished its contents in three large gulps. "Thanks," I murmured.

"My view on this matter is irrelevant. It's time to go home," he said with a tone of finality.

Looking at my friend grimly, I asked, "Any news, Malik?"

My question was met with silence. And every fucking time, the disappointment felt like a massive punch in the gut. Malik knew I couldn't leave. Not until I find her. Not until she comes back.

"It's been three years, bro. She's not coming back," Malik said as if reading my thoughts. "Your family needs you."

I glanced around the room. For three years, if I'm not going around and looking for Lia, I spent most of my time working out, using it to channel all my pent-up energy. I could wait for her for as long as eternity but Malik was right, it's time to go back. I would continue to search for her but I would deal with this matter first.

Aiming at the trash bin that was at the far end of the room, I threw the empty bottle right at its center. With a decision formed, I turned to Malik. "Get the plane. We're going home."

***

I yanked the poster that was attached to a tree. It was a picture of my father with a red X mark and under it were in bold letters: STOP THE MURDERS. STAND UP FOR YOUR PEOPLE.

"They call themselves the Orion," Tessa said beside me. "Packs are starting to show them their support. Every day, they are replacing these posters to threaten father's life," Tessa said with disgust.