37|Pride|

| Lia |

"Ahhh, the wind's really nice in this country," Lana commented after stretching her arms as we sat together under the shadow of a mulberry tree. We had a great view of the lake below, argent-silver and glimmering in the callow light of dawn. The atmosphere was convent quiet, vault still and restful. The only sounds were from the occasional chirps of the tiny flat orange-chested birds with black wings nestling atop tree branches.

Three days has passed since the burning ritual and Lana had been babysitting me since then. I felt numb. It was different from when mama and papa died. Back then, I could clearly remember my rage as I swore to avenge them. But now, I just felt lost. I couldn't believe that Cassy was really gone. It was as if she was still with me and if I'd go back to the cabin, she would be there to boss me around.

"Are you still not talking to Theo?" Lana asked.

I shook my head. "No."

She pouted. "He keeps asking me about you when he's not training. There's still no response from the palace. The Lupus King would eventually need to accept though. It's a formal challenge, after all. He would lose all respect of his people if he doesn't."

Hugging my legs close to my chest, I sighed sadly. "If he dies too... I don't think I'll make it, Lana. I told him to withdraw. But he won't."

Lana scooted closer to me and wrapped her left arm around my shoulder. "He'll make it, Lia. Did you see those arms?" She widened her eyes at me. "My golly delicious!"

Rolling my eyes, I nudged her lightly with my shoulder. "He does have nice arms," I admitted, blood gushing to my cheeks.

"Ha! You smiled. Finally." She grinned but turned somber almost immediately. "I miss her too, you know... Cassy. I wished I had a sister like her too. There were times when I was kind of jealous. You twins have this unique dynamic and everyone can see how much you love each other." She smiled and gazed at me with tenderness. "I can never replace Cassy and I am more of a bad influence really but I can be like your sister from another mother." She chuckled. "By the way, Yllona's feeling really bad that she can't come right away."

"That's alright. She's a princess. She must have royal duties or something." I shrugged.

Lana's phone rang. She cancelled the call but it rang again so I peeked at it curiously. The caller's name was Stupid Santiago. "Santiago?" I asked.

She flushed and turned her phone off. "Just someone who's stalking me. No one, really." She laughed awkwardly before tucking her phone in the back pocket of her jeans.

I made a face at her but did not press further. She'd tell me when she's ready.

"Oh, here's your other lover boy. Well then, I'll leave you two for a minute. Don't take long or else your mate's gonna kill me." She winked before sauntering off.

Ethan approached. "Hey."

"Hey," I replied.

"May I?" Ethan gestured to the spot previously occupied by Lana.

"Sure."

He sat next to me and for a moment we didn't speak. We looked at our surrounding and breathed the same air in comfortable silence. Ethan finally spoke in a shaky breath, "I'm really sorry about Cass."

"Me too," I said, my eyes still roaming the magnificence of the lake.

He sighed heavily. "It was so fast, Lia. It seems like he knew where you guys would surface. Did you notice how he shifted into the form of the original werewolf? We shift into wolves, only a bit bigger than ordinary wolves but he... he was able to morph into the werewolf of legends."