36|Heart|

| Lia |

They say that when you die, your entire life flashes before your eyes. If you ask me, I'll say that it is a load of bullshit. How can you see your whole life in mere seconds? Well, I might just be looking at it quite literally but here's what I think. When you die, you see the face of the person you care about the most. No thoughts or whatsoever but just the image of that person before the void of nothingness sucks you up. Or probably, you won't have any chance to think at all. You'll just... die.

Stopping after three steps, I was aware of all the arrows pointed at me. I was also aware that one wrong move could make me either minced meat or boneless, given that Barthier had the ability to melt organs. Ha! Like ground beef and boneless fish. I wonder which one tastes better.

I smiled at Cassy hoping that it would appear reassuring but it mostly turned out to be an ugly grimace. Tuning out everyone, I tapped to our mind-link. 'On my count, push that bitch in front of you.'

Cassy's pupils dilated. 'Stay back. Don't be stupid.'

'Don't be ridiculous. When do I ever listen?'

With my jaw set, I stared at Ivory with piercing intensity. "Drop your sword. Let my twin take a few steps to us and I'll come to you."

The corner of her lip twitched. "I wasn't born yesterday, child." She pressed her sword closer to Cassy's throat and I watched in horror as blood gushed from the area where the blade touched her skin. "I'm an impatient woman. Move now or my hand might... slip."

"Well how do I know you won't kill her anyway?" I barked.

"Excellent question." Ivory's lips transformed into a full wicked grin. "You won't."

Theo growled beside me. He had shifted to his wolf and was clawing at the ground with his right front paw, his fangs in perpetual display. All of the wolves advanced slowly, taking their position underneath the trees where the assassins were. Lana summoned fireballs above her hands and let out a hostile hiss.

"Fine." Ivory snarled and pushed Cassy. "Walk girl," she ordered.

Cassy stumbled before she was able to steady herself. Her eyes were trained on me as she began her walk. I moved forward too, praying to the Gods that my plan would work. Our surrounding faded as the only thing I chose to hear were our footsteps. I could feel all the energy of the earth around me and as long as we're stepping on solid ground, the odds would always be in my favor. We were a few feet apart when I let the ground beneath us tremble. Before anyone could react, the two of us were already falling.

Darkness. We were officially underground. Grabbing Cassy's hand, I led her through a tunnel that I'd created, a pathway that would lead us back to our side of the fight. Her mana was terribly low as she had not been eating properly so it was up to me to protect her this time. I would be her shield as she had been mine.

Above us, the scrimmage had began. I prayed for Theo, for Lana, for Ethan, and for everyone who was fighting for our cause. I wished for all of this to end, for us to go back to our simple laid-back lives. Our parents murderers were all here. Revenge was finally within grasp. It was the conclusion that Cassy and I had been craving for ever since we decided to enter the Mesina Academy. And now, a single golden opportunity has offered itself. I would be a fool not to take it.

Back to the surface, I screamed at Cassy, "Go back Cass! We can deal with this."

It was one of those moments where you wished you could have paid more attention. A kind of moment that no amount of preparation could make you understand why the universe was so against you. It was a moment that defined all moments.