38|Werewolf|

| Lia |

All the wolf packs in the world had been summoned to witness an unprecedented event in the history of the Lupus race. No heir had ever challenged the current King. King Remus Rolf, first of his name, twenty first ruler of the Lupus Kingdom, was the third King to be seated in the council. But he was the first King to proclaim a law that was against his race. It was his race who suffered the most for Luna had bestowed them predestined mates that were not necessarily their own.

The question, therefore, was why the King gave the council full assent to the murder of his own people. That was twenty two years ago, when the Fifth Oracle of Ilwania called for a closed door emergency meeting. After that, the law was proclaimed despite the protests of many. They said that it was for the protection of the Vulgari realm. That they were just taking precautionary measures. But years passed, and nothing happened. What were they afraid of?

I held on to Theo's hand, squeezing it tightly. The Orion and Prime Thunder pack members were all huddled together as we enter the palace. All of us were in black hooded jackets so that no one could pinpoint the Prince just in case they planned to ambush us at the gates.

Hushed whispers filled the space as we paraded the halls. We passed by a Lupus couple and I accidentally heard their conversation.

"I can't believe the Prince would betray his own Kingdom," the female said.

"I heard he had an Ilwani mate," the male replied.

"Oh well, that's really unfortunate. Now who'll be the next King when the Prince dies? Princess Tara's mate?"

In a flash, my hood was down and I was holding a thorn the size of a kitchen knife to the female's throat. "Shut up or you die," I threatened, my lips curled in a snarl.

Her mate growled. Theo appeared at my side and when he pulled his hood down, the female gasped. He stared at the male and with no words said, the male took his mate's hand and pulled her away from us. I sneered and clicked my tongue before I looked at Theo. He was wearing an amused smile. "What?" I asked defensively. "She was annoying me."

Theo smirked and shook his head. Putting his hood back, he took my hand, and led me back to our group. Zion gave me a salute while Joon Ki awarded me with a two thumbs up. Malik had a ghost of a smile on his lips.

Lana leaned forward from behind me. "Nicely done," she breathed. I rolled my eyes at their support and adjusted my hand on Theo's, entangling my fingers with his.

The palace had its own arena, quite similar to the one in the Mesina academy, but minus the center stage that could rise and fall. It was simply a circular fighting pit bordered by an iron railing. The bleachers were already starting to fill and seeing the crowd that had gathered to witness the blood combat made me feel like throwing up. I unconsciously tightened my grip on Theo's hand. My lips felt numb and my pulse was madly racing. He responded by giving me a kiss on the top of my head. 

Yllona shuffled her way past the crowd, immediately embracing me when she reached us. She arrived earlier this morning and told us that she would meet us at the fighting pit. "Oh Lia, I'm so sorry," she moaned while stroking my hair. "I can't imagine how much pain you are in. And now..." She flicked her gaze to Theo. "Are you sure about this?" she asked both of us.

My chin quivered. "I'm not. But this may be the only way," I said, my words lacking conviction. It was taking all of me to stay and watch my mate fight to death.

She sighed heavily as if she was the one who was about to watch her mate fight. "I wish it didn't have to come to this. You just lost your twin." She paused and looked at her sides before leaning forward, her lips almost touching my ear. "The air is in your favor. If something goes wrong, you'll be sure that there will be a gust of wind to help," she said under her breath.