New Start

Tom woke up next to me the next morning. I was facing away from him listening to music. I wasn't being myself.

"Why are you ignoring me Jessica." Tom asked.

Was he really asking me that? I took my headphones out and looked at him seriously.

"Because Tom, you did something that you have never done before."

"What did I do? Please tell me!"

I looked down at the bed sheets, then looked back into his sympathetic eyes.

"You, broke a promise."

He shook his head, confused. "What did I promise you."

I sighed. "Forget it. Its nothing."

He took my hand in his. "No Jessica tell me. I will never let it go if I don't know what I did wrong."

I all of a sudden felt a little stupid. I mean, it was only one dinner that he missed. Maybe I was over reacting. But, I needed to tell him, because it was bothering me.

I took a deep breath. "Well, you said you would be here last night, for dinner and, you never called, never showed up, nothing. Tom, it may seem like a little broken promise, but it mattered to me."

He sighed and put his head in his palms. "Jessica. I am so sorry. You have every right to be angry with me. I was caught up in the interviews that I never thought to call. I'm so stupid."

I was a little surprised by his reaction. And I hated when he put himself down. I just couldn't stand to see him sad.

"Tom. I forgive you. I just don't want you to make promises you can't keep."

He nodded. "I understand."

I grinned. "Okay. Good. Was that our first fight?"

He sighed. "I think. But we handled it well!"

I kissed him on the cheek. "We handled it like a loving husband and wife."

He tucked a piece of my hair behind my ear. "I don't like when we fight."

"Me either."

He took a deep breath and asked. "Jessica? How do you like it here? In this house? I mean, what do you think of it?"

It was a tough question. "Well, I don't know. Its been my home for years. But lately, with everything happening with Tara and Alexis, it just feels, empty. Like there is something missing.

He looked concerned. "Jessica, could that be why you are feeling lonely. Because of the memories?"

I thought to myself, he had a good point. Maybe it wasn't me, maybe it was the actual house itself, and the bitter-sweet memories of Tara and Alexis. "Yeah. That could be why."

He looked me in the eyes. "I have a crazy idea."

"What?"

He smiled. "Let's move."

His comment was sudden. I thought he was crazy. "What?"

He continued speaking. "Let's move to a place where you can feel comfortable, and safe. A new start, a fresh one. I know its sudden, but, Let's move to London, where we first fell in love, I think its a perfect place for us to start our new life, with our children!"

A new start was an over-whelming thought. "Tom" I didn't know what to say.

"Tom, I can't leave. This house is my home. I can't leave Tara and Alexis."

He squeezed my hands. "You won't be leaving them. You'll be bringing them along. Do you remember the letter that Alexis gave you on our wedding day? She told you that she was going to be with you forever, her and Tara. She pinky promised you. And I think she would love us to take the next big step in our relationship."

I smiled at the thought of Alexis' letter. Tom was right.

I was quiet. Thinking, contemplating.

He looked at me with anticipation. "Do you need time to think?"

I took a deep breath. "Yes."

He nodded. "Okay, I'll give you time."

I shook my head and laughed. "Tom, I mean yes. I will move to London with you."

He jumped up and his eyes widened with surprise. "Really?!"

I smiled. "Yes!"

He put his arms around me and hugged me tight. "I love you Jessica Hiddleston, forever and always."

"I love you too Tom Hiddleston" my eyes began watering. "Forever and always."

-

-

I called Kate later that night. I was dreading telling her the news.

I invited her over for dinner, so that Tom and I could tell her together.

-

-

Kate knew we had something to say. I was so nervous to tell her. I was also nervous about my decision. I don't know if I made the right choice. I was lost.

Kate rolled her eyes. "Jess, what do you have to tell me?"

I sighed. "Kate, Tom and I were talking earlier, and we are thinking about..."

I paused and glanced over to Tom. He was waiting for me to say it.

I looked back to Kate. "We are thinking about, moving to London."

She was quiet. "Wow!" She grinned. "That's great! Its a great idea."

I studied her. "Really?"

She laughed. "Yes really!"

Something was weird about Kate. Something was off.

-

-

Later that night, I walked Kate to her car before she left. Tom stayed inside. It was just Kate and I. I needed to know what she was thinking. Really.

"Kate, what do you really think about me going to London?"

She laughed. She was surprised that I asked. "What do you mean? I told you Jess, I love the idea."

I rolled my eyes. "Kate, I know you. You aren't acting like yourself right now. Please tell me what you really think."

There was a long quiet pause.

Her eyes watered. And she fell into me. "Who am I going to have, when you leave?"

That broke my heart. "Kate, you'll still have me. We can call each other, and visit. I'm always going to be your friend. Even when we are miles apart."

She wiped her tears. "Are you sure?"

I smiled and hugged her tight. "I'm positive. You are my best friend, I need you."

I wanted to hug her forever. I wanted to reassure her. And I wanted her to be reassured.

I wanted to know one thing.

Was I really making a good decision?