Last Time

BANG BANG! The sound of a hand hitting my bedroom door startled me. I jumped up from the bed. And Tom jumped up in front of me, to protect me.

"Who's there!?" He said with seriousness.

"Its me! Hey are you guys decent? Like, can I open the door without, seeing something I don't wanna see?"

I rolled my eyes and giggled to myself. Tom took a breath of relief and the laughed.

It was Kate.

I answered her question. "Yeah, you can open the door, Kate."

She swung the door open and skipped inside. "Well, good morning sunshines!"

Tom was still grinning. "Good morning Kate."

Most guys would be angry if your friend decided to barge into your home at the crack of dawn. But not Tom. He was, understanding.

I looked over to Kate. "Why the hell are you in my house at 8 in the morning?"

She laughed. "Because, I do what I want."

Tom and I laughed.

Kate let herself fall onto our bed. "So, what do you guys wanna do today?"

I looked at her confused. "Kate, we didn't have plans to hang out today."

She laughed. "I know. Its a last minute thing. But, its kind of.... the last day we can actually hang out, before-"

I cut her off. "Before what?"

She looked down to the floor, then back up to me. "Before I leave."

My eyes widened with surprise. "Leave? Leave where!? Where are you going?"

She sighed. "I'm moving. I'm going to go and, find myself. I'm going to college."

In that moment, I was supposed to feel happy, and all I felt was, despair. I knew I would be leaving Kate, but the concept of Kate leaving me... was worse for some reason. I sat up and stared at her. "Why... why now?"

Kate grinned. "Well, I know you are leaving for London, and starting a family. I am so happy for you! Now, its about time I start my own life, and have a career, and start my own family. So I'm going to college and I'm pursuing my own dreams."

Tom was listening the whole time. He was watching me, waiting for me to respond to Kate.

I was so, caught off guard. I had no idea what to say to her. "Its your last day in town?" Out of all the questions I could ask, I ask the dumbest one.

She nodded. "Yeah, I'm moving to California. And going to school there. I want to be prepared and everything. And I want to check out the campus, just to know what I'm in for."

Not only was she moving, but she was going all the way across the country! I finally got up the courage to say something. "I'm happy for you."

I really was happy for her. But, I didn't like the idea. I know i was being selfish. I just wanted her to stay here, and be my friend, and my friend only. I knew that once she got to college and got comfortable, she would no doubt, find new friends. I had a bad feeling that she would forget about me.

Tom turned to Kate. "Good for you! I'm happy for you as well."

Kate smiled. "Thanks T-Hiddy."

I was still completely surprised.

Kate looked at me, she saw the confusion in my eyes. "Hey Tom? Would it be okay if I talked to Jess, alone."

He nodded his head and left the room. "Of course."

Once Tom was gone. Kate turned to me. "Okay, what are you thinking?"

I looked at her. "I'm thinking that you are crazy and I'm honestly really angry with you!"

She laughed. "Why are you angry with me!?"

I answered. "Because! You... you didn't warn me. You didn't give me a chance to, let the idea sink into my mind. I'm totally caught off guard."

She sighed. "Well, it was kind of a last minute decision. I wasn't planning on doing this, until you said you were moving to London. Like I said before. You are going to have a family! You're not going to have time for me like you do now."

I protested. "Kate! I'm always going to have time for you!"

She added. "I need to start my own life Jessica! And I want you to support me on that. I want you to be happy for me."

I sighed. "I am happy for you. I really am. But Kate, you say that I'm not going to have time for you when I have my children.... what if you don't have time for me when you go to college? What if you meet new friends? What happens then?"

She smiled at hugged me. "I would never forget about you Jess. You are my best friend! No one in the world can replace you. Its like you said before, even when we are miles apart, we will always be friends. Best friends."

I squeezed her tight. Then, 2 words came out of my mouth, that I thought I would never say again. "Pinky promise?"

She let go of me. And looked me in the eyes. "Jess! That's you and Alexis' thing!"

I smiled. "I know, but I need you to promise me that you will stay my friend."

She smiled and a tear fell from her face. "I pinky promise."

She wrapped her pinky around mine. In that moment, I felt Alexis. I remembered her. A good memory of her. I smiled.