Swimming in Connections

Beast Boy

Creeeeeeeeeak! Cclkkkk! Shhrkkkkk! Bzzzzzzzt! I looked around, laughing at all the fun rides. They cranked noisily, but that beautiful girl on my arm was so perfect, the noises didn't matter. She smiled, punching my arm at another of my (awesome) jokes. She looked so excited to show me around, pointing out the moving trolley cars. We hopped onto the newest one, having to bridge the gap when it left without us. I tripped on the edge, and she quickly grabbed my hand before I fell to my improbable doom. We sat silently on the bench together, enjoying each other's company

"Beast Boy, if you knew something bad about me, would you still be my friend?"

"Of course."

"I mean, if you were really my friend, I could tell you anything. And no matter how horrible it was, you'd still like me, right?"

"Yes, I promise Terra. No matter what."

"Beast Boy, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I never meant for any of this to happen."

"Then why did you let it?"

"I don't know, okay? I don't know. Slade, he helped me. Saved me from myself. He said I owed him..."

"So it was all a game? You were just pretending?"

"No! You said you'd be my friend no matter what, remember?"

"Slade was right. You don't have any friends."

Why had I said all that? I never meant the last part! I wish I could take it all back. She said she was really sorry, but I never apologized for saying she had no friends, did I? It's not Cyborg's fault Terra ran for cover again. It's mine.

Suddenly, I feel a really hard pressing at the back of my eyes. I thought all the tears were dried up, and this is a different burning. Slowly, a voice starts seeping into my head. Raven?

"Beast Boy, you need to let me in. Let me in to your head." Well how the heck am I supposed to do that? "Just open all the gates you put up. Let me in, I can help. Let me in." I still have absolutely no idea what that means, so I just picture my mind as a hallway, unlocking and opening the door at the end. "Perfect. Beast Boy, this is Raven. Obviously. No, I don't think you should have left. You either need to find Terra now or be back at the tower now. I convinced the other Titans to stop searching, and I can hear them coming back in now. Your communicator lost signal, right?" Actually, I kind of threw it against a wall.

"Beast Boy, stop thinking to yourself. I can hear you. I understand why you left, but the others are getting anxious." I hear a loud crash in the background of Raven's voice. "Crap. Starfire just blasted a hole in the wall. Uh, you might want to hurry. But remember, your mind is open now, so I can get in, and you can't exactly throw your head against a wall. Don't even try to. Keep searching, you've got an hour until Robin gives the signal to spread out. Cyborg's not too happy either. He's trying to hold Robin down, because he doesn't want Terra found." My stomach, heart, and pretty much everything else jumps up into my throat. "Be careful, Beast Boy." A light buzz fills my head, and Raven's voice doesn't make a reappearance. I sigh, and slowly step off of my trolley cart-into open air. Dang, I missed the post to get off. Thinking fast, I shift into an eagle and fly over the amusement park, to the peak of the broken-down ferris wheel. From way up here, I can look for Terra with a bird's-eye view--ha! I'm gonna have to remember that one!

I give the whole park a final once-over, then swoop down and towards the little diner Terra took me to. I order a cherry pie-Terra's favorite-and slowly put pieces in my mouth, glancing around. The waitress at the bar brings me a giant can of whipped cream on request, and I angle it down, point at the pie, and let loose a torrent of whipped deliciousness.