Chapter Nine

When I got back to the back of the school, it looked as if everyone had cleared out-except Michael.  He sat there against the door smoking a cigarette with his head down. I knew I should've gotten in the car and went straight home, but I couldn't help myself.

"That's a nasty habit you have there," I commented.

He slowly looked up, "Smoking or telling people to disappear off the earth?"

I let out a laugh, "Isn't it a little too soon to joke about it?"

"I wouldn't say so considering you came back," he had a sly smirk.

I started to blush, knowing I've been caught, "Well, my car is here."

He chuckled, "Is that why you decided to talk to me?"

He got up and walked closer to me.  I started to shiver.  I was cold, but I wasn't sure from what anymore.

He dropped his cig, "You look cold."

"I am," I whispered.

He walked even closer, only about a half a foot away from my body.

"So tell me, why did you come back and talk to me?" he asked, also in a whisper.

"I knew you didn't mean it," I mustered to say.

He narrowed his eyes before he kissed, taking me off guard.  It didn't take me long to melt into the kiss as he pulled me closer and my hands rested on his cheeks.  It was as if time stopped, but didn't as I realized when he pulled away.

"I fucking hate you," he quickly said.

"I know you do," I replied.

"You- you're a stupid conformist, and you have me all sorts of fucked up," he ranted.

"You act like you are the only one confused," I narrowed my eyes.

He turned is attention to me.

"I'm a typical girl.  I have friends, I'm involved, and I'm happy.  And here, so douchey goth kid wearing eyeliner comes and makes me feel like shit- and I need it.  I feel like I need you," I argued.  "That's more fucked up than your situation."

"Looks like we've both fallen then," he shrugged before walking off.

I couldn't even process what he had meant before he was off on his way.

We've both fallen...like for each other? That's ridiculous.