Arise warlock

I was told I was foolish, I was weak and good for nothing but a play thing for my older sister. I should probably introduce myself shouldn't I? Hi, I'm Cobalt.

When I was young
If I just closed my eyes, then I could go anywhere, I imagined what the outside world must be like.
Dream of any place that wasn't my damp dark cellar that they called my room. It wasn't my room, it was my prison.

But there was a place I could always see so vividly, a city of hope. Surrounded by ruined buildings and above this city floats an enormous orb of incredible size that we call the traveler. I can still go there if I want. The tower, that's what we call it, and by 'we' I mean the others. The castaways, the downtrodden. The ones who have experienced the pain. I speak to people there! It's the only interaction with people I get that isn't followed by a beating. I made friends of sorts, Cayde was always friendly and happy to chat for hours. Ikora showed me how to channel my anger and sorrow into focus and clarity of mind. To this day I don't know if it's all real or just in my mind. Well, I've told you my first name but not my last name... it's Schnee.

Yeah, that Schnee family. I was tortured to near death day in and day out, everyone did it, my mother, my father, Wheatley and especially Weiss! Winter was a different story though. She was special to me somehow, I never knew how or why back then. I've found out recently that she was my biological mother, my father? We'll get to him. But, if it wasn't for Winter I'd be dead now. She snuck me out one night, distracted the guards as I hid in a dust shipping crate bound for... somewhere. Anywhere was better than here. Bruised, battered and losing blood I knew I was bound to die. Then I met Raven Branwen. But let's not cut corners here. Let's start from that night...
*****

I was chained to the wall as always, Weiss had just been given some new weapon to train with which she wanted to 'show me'. Some rapier with dust chambers, didn't matter. I'd know what it was soon enough

Weiss: "what do you think Cobalt?" She asked as she sliced across my chest with blade. "A perfect blade for the perfect person"

"S-stop..."

Weiss: "are you arguing with me? You will do as I say and speak when spoken to. You belong to me and me alone... maybe I should write my name to remind you of that."
She began slashing into my chest, carving her name onto me. The sting of the blade as it glided effortlessly through my flesh. The pain was too much. I tried to retreat my mind back to the tower. It was the only thing I could think of to quell the pain. I tried... Only to hear Ikora call out to me

Ikora: "Cobalt. The time has come. Eyes up guardian"

With newly found courage and strength that no 7 year old should have, I opened my eyes to look at her. Watching her finish her latest artwork of her initials on my neck. I steeled my gaze at her and I could feel something bubbling up inside of me

Weiss: "you dare look me in the eye? I didn't say you could!" She began to slash at my arm but I grabbed the blade with my hand... no, not my hand. My sword! I looked at my hand and from nowhere a flaming longsword contacted with her own blade. I heard Ikora call out to me again

Ikora: "arise warlock, the dawnblade has chosen you"

I sliced at my chains holding me up on the wall as burning wings sprouted from my back

"You... lose. Schnee."
I swung wildly at the air in front of me, I had never held a sword in my life what do you expect? But swinging at nothing helped me actually, because I found that this sword could create a streak of fire and launch it forward into whatever happened to be in my way! That was the wall!

As the rubble from the wall fell, creating my salvation, my escape route, I looked back at Weiss, she was shocked! She hadn't expected this in a million years but then again neither did I!

"If- if I ever see you again, I will kill you."
I began slowly flying up the stairway, towards the light.

An echoed voice called out to me as I continued rising up higher and higher. It was Cayde

Cayde: "hey Cobalt! It's me, you know? Cayde? Cayde-6? From the tower? Ok anyway, there's a warehouse the other side of the complex. Get there and you'll be safe. We'll see you on the other side guardian."

I was still bleeding heavily as I stumbled into the warehouse, guards were patrolling the grounds so I had to hide as quick as possible... but I could feel my strength giving in, and my sword dissolved into particles which fluttered into the air as my wings disappeared too.

I fell to the ground, I knew I would be found! I'd be taken back to the dungeon, I knew I would. I felt someone pick me up, and place a bottle to my lips as a cool liquid poured down my throat. I looked up to see the gentle smile of her, Winter.

Winter: "let's get you out of here. No one will hurt you anymore Cobalt."

"Winter. They..."

Winter: "I know, I know."

???: "miss Schnee? Where are you?"

Winter: "I have to hide you. Stay quiet and I'll be back for you later. I promise I'll keep you safe. My son"

Winter placed me into a crate of dust with the rest of the water bottle beside me and closed the lid, I could hear the gentle tap of her boots as she left

Hours it felt like. Sat in that box, unable to speak for fear of being caught. Then I felt the crate I was in begin to move, I could hear voices, faint and gentle. Until finally... I blacked out.
********
Raven's POV

We had just pushed the last of the crates through the portal, a truly successful heist. I was on the other side, helping my men unload the crates, the first one I opened... there was a young boy, bleeding heavily! He was still alive but barely!

Raven: "someone get the doctor! Bring him to my tent now!"
I scooped the boy into my arms and ran into my tent. Laying him in my bed, I began cleaning the blood from some of the cuts. Weiss? WS? Who would do this to him? A monster no doubt. The doctor came running in as the boy regained consciousness

He began to struggle franticly
Raven: "Hey! It's ok, you're alright! You're safe."

"J- just... kill me. Please."
I was shocked, this young child was asking me to end his suffering. At this age, a thought like that shouldn't even cross his mind!

Raven: "no, I'm here to save you. Not kill you. I'm Raven. What's your name?"

"Cobalt... Schnee."

Schnee? Now it makes sense! Weiss Schnee is the name of their brat of a child they constantly boast about online as if she was the messiah.

Raven: "not anymore. You're a Branwen now. Would you like that? I'll be your family, on the condition that you let us save you. Ok?" He said nothing. Only a weak nod and a heart melting smile from him as he drifted to sleep holding my hand. I couldn't help but smile back at him, and for the faintest of moments, I missed Tai and Yang.

???: "miss Raven? What's happened?"

Raven: "oh Vernal, I'm sorry to have to bother your daddy on such an important day for you."

Young Vernal: "who is that?"

Raven: "Cobalt, he's going to be staying with us for a while. Can I trust you to help me look after him?"

She beamed with glee and nodded her head with determination. She sat on the opposite side of Cobalt to me and watched him sleep.

Raven: "happy birthday Vernal."