Numb

I know they will be coming for me, but this was my only chance. I had to escape. A stroke of luck led to this. The routine they kept was out of sync for just a couple of seconds. That was all I needed to make a mad dash for the outdoors. The harsh winds are blowing against my thin and matted fur while freezing my nose. I lost feeling in my paws long ago. The cold shouldn't have affected me this way, but my body can't protect itself anymore. The pain they inflicted on me was merciless. They wanted to destroy me. My body is covered in scars and wounds that struggle to repair themselves. This physical anguish is all too familiar to me.

I kept on going deeper in the forest. Each step is more painful than the last. My paws stepping through the snow that shined like little jewels under the moonlight. Each breath shallower than the last. But I didn't care I wanted to die; I wanted this pain to end. I wanted to end this pain on my own terms not theirs. Despite everything, I couldn't help but be in awe of the beauty around me. The smell of the trees. The sound of the wind. The feeling of clean air. This feeling of overwhelming freedom and peace. This is how I always imagined my death will come.

My endless wandering led me to the edge of a cliff overlooking a wide dark river that is flowing so beautifully below. The flow of the water seems to be calling out to me. The moon peeked through gray clouds illuminating the water in such a captivating way. My breath stuck in my chest as a moment of pure clarity washed through me. The pain disappeared. The sounds around me quieted. Even the wind halted. I approached the edge of the cliff in a trance. My eyes locked on to the ball of light in the sky. It pulled me in closer. This is it. I am returning to the moon. The anticipation of being set free is making my heart flutter.

My peace was suddenly broken by the snap of a branch behind me. My moment was gone. Everything came rushing back. The pain. The cold. The desperation. White hot rage that I've never felt before filled my heart. It wasn't fair. This isn't supposed to happen. This was my moment! It is the only thing I had left. The only thing I will ever have.

I turned quickly in the direction where the disturbance came from. For the first time, I wanted to be the cause of violence. My fangs ached to tear into anything and cause pain. I wanted to destroy everything in between me and my end. The object of my ire was a wolf.

My eyes locked on the wolf slowly approaching me. The shock of seeing one of my kind blew out the fire in my chest as if it was a mere candle flame. The strength he displayed intimidated me. The power enveloped me. I knew in that moment that couldn't defeat it. He was so much bigger than me. He could kill me with not much effort. I wanted to die on my own terms I won't let him take that away from me. Despite the odds, I let out a weak warning growl.

He stops and stares at me. His eyes boring straight into mine. What does he want from me? I am terrified of the beast in front of me; my legs are going weak and my whole body is shaking.

It took a step forward. I stepped back; my hind foot was at the very edge of the cliff now. This single moment was mine alone. I won't lose it to anyone or  anything. I jumped aiming for the moon where my solace is waiting.