Chapter 2: Broken Walls

You woke up to the sudden halt of the plane.

Rubbing your eyes then yawning, you looked out the window glass to see a full moon shining brightly in the pitch black sky with thin sheets of clouds hovering above. The night seemed quiet and peaceful, yet when you looked down a few miles off earthward, you could see myriads of daemons swarming around.

You turned back to Nyx, who probably had been staring down off the window and observing a countless number of deadly creatures trying to get in through the city. Despite of the peaceful night in the crown city, there were hideous monsters crawling and trying to break in.

"You just woke up in time." Nyx turned away from the window to face you. There were dark circular bags under his eyes that made you feel a bit guilty; Nyx had been patrolling outside the palace overnight every night, while you always stayed the night with Noctis. "Also," his eyes darted out the window, where you could also see other jet planes hovered around, "the rest of us will have to wait until Cor releases the arrow to distract those puny daemons. While they are disturbed of the light, we attack on their backs."

You nodded, summoning a pack of bows and an arrow in your hand. "I think it's best if I stayed up here. I'll just settle above the jet so I could see what's happening below, then rain down arrows to wipe them out."

"Good idea. But don't try to kill any of us," Nyx agreed as he readied his own weapon. He pulled on his dark brown hood, hiding his face and mostly his identity. "But (Y/N), since you are with me, and you didn't attend the last meeting again, I'll tell you what we discussed in summary."

"I owe you a lot." You sighed. "So to ask you, where did these daemons come from? Niflheim has been extinct for five years, and I don't think there was someone who survived the blazes that turned the empire into ashes."

"That's what we discussed yesterday. One of our fellow glaives sent me a report that he caught a glimpse of daemons at dusk, and they became more active when night arrives. He's assigned to this area, right near the outskirts of Insomnia."

"Then we should make it quick yet we have to be careful. Whoever sent these daemons, I am sure that person comes from another domain. Niflheim was our number one enemy, yet it was gone for good." You looked out the window. "Nyx, do you have any idea who's behind this mess?"

"No idea." The male shook his head. "Tenebrae has also been extinct for years. No choice, but I suggest King Noctis to meet with the oracle in Altissia. I think Lady Lunafreya knows something about this."

"You have a point."

Out of nowhere, inhumanly screeches erupted that ruined the serene night. You shot your head off the window and gaped down to see hordes of monsters squirming towards the center of the clearing which held a small, bright light out of the dark field.

"Now's our chance." Nyx slid open the window as he looked behind at you. "Aim well."

"I will. More well than you know." You sent him a short nod before he jumped off. You leaned to the front. "Sir, hold the jet still. I'll be right above this plane."

"Will do." The man nodded. You shifted towards the opening, then grabbed a long metal bar attached to the doorway outside. As you lifted your body, you could feel the cold wind hitting your face and making your hair sweep backwards off your shoulders.

Finally, you knelt and looked around to see a countless number of your fellow glaives in their dark velvet hoods jumping off their planes.