Chapter 9: Off to Hammerhead

"This is a very, important mission." Your lips were already pressed into a thin line after you spoke before the four. The three were good friends of yours, ones who had been loyal to you whenever you hear critics about you in the palace. The fourth to go, of course, was Cloud disguised as a Kingsglaive. It was the best thing to do, to hide his true identity and maybe, his own past. "Traveling on land is the only option yet dangerous one."

     "Why wouldn't we travel on air? Is there a problem regarding our planes?" Cayla asked, her eyes gleaming when the sun hit her hooded face.

You sighed. "No. But it's more dangerous if we go up there. Majority of the daemons have wings. They'll be able to eliminate us easily."

"Guess you have a point." Seth nodded. You spared him a glance—the hood reached down to his nose only revealing his lips. You frowned, thinking if he was able to see anything with that.

"Shall we go then?" Ether's rapier that was in her hand disintegrated into crystals. "Time's running."

She was right. Time's running.

Seth pulled out a set of keys from his pocket, jiggling them. "Let's take the rover. Nyx gave me the permission to drive."

You sent him a short nod. "Good. Let's go." Seth, Cayla and Ether headed towards the rover and soon you followed, but you felt a hand take your wrist making you turn around. "Is something wrong Cloud?"

     "I . . ." He eyed the three glaives getting into the vehicle before looking back at you. "Are you sure that they can be trusted? Where are we going?"

     You turned to the rover. It started to hum and you were sure Seth had been looking at you through the window. Thinking of a quick answer, you turned back to Cloud. "We're going to find our friends, Luna and Prompto, and I know you don't remember them but they've been good friends of ours. They're held captured so we have to save them."

     "Who kidnapped them?"

     "Long story. You'll know soon. But we have to get going." You gestured for him to follow towards the rover. He stopped and turned to you. "What is it this time?"

     He opened the door to the backseat, staring at you.

     Whether you should laugh or stare at him back in embarrassment, you didn't know. "Um, thank you." You ignored his blank gaze on you, entering the rover. You tried to hide the blush creeping up your cheeks given Cloud's genuine act. Ether and Cayla were staring at you.

     The door closed behind you. You looked out the window, making sure your embarrassed, red face wouldn't be seen by any of them.

     "What was that?" Cayla teased making you jump slightly on your seat.

     "Nothing." You swallowed to the fact you could hear your own heartbeat getting fast. Cloud sat on  the passenger's seat. You weren't sure if he his eyes were set on you through the side mirror. Seth pushed the controller making the rover drift off into the main gate. Avoiding any more embarrassing moment you looked out the window again and watched the surroundings.

     The gates opened just in time the rover neared. Seth chuckled but you ignored him, now you could see the city's main road. "Insomnia never runs out of censored gates. I love how everything works here," he mused.

     You heard Cayla snicker. "It's still technology, Seth."

     "At least we're well rounded. Insomnia's more advanced than the other kingdoms in terms of its economic status."

     "When are you gonna stop comparing every thing? There's Altissia too."

     "When are you gonna stop scolding me?"

     "Guys," Ether chided. "When are you gonna stop arguing with each other? Don't you two have any conscience left to (Y/N) and— that guy on the front?"

     "Cloud." You heard Cloud speak. His voice had always sent chills down your spine. You could feel so much nostalgia; it felt good having him back here.

     "Cloud. Right," Ether said. "Wait, I haven't heard a name like that in the Kingsglaive."

     "He's there in the war against Niflheim," you said, still looking out the window. "And he helped, a lot."

     "I did?" Cloud repeated in disbelief.

     You paused looking at his blond locks. "Yeah."

     "That was . . . Right. I'll . . . take that as a compliment, then."

     Awkward silence filled the air. The more you talked to Cloud, the quieter the mood turned and you could feel everyone silently listening to your conversation with him. The tension rose, but suddenly it dropped when Cayla snorted. "Seriously, (Y/N)—"

     "She's the lieutenant. Address her properly." Seth fastened the speed a bit. You looked out the window down the road. It was really getting fast, but still a good thing since speed limits weren't established in here. Or else he would've gotten a speed ticket already. "Cay, if you're going to stay comfortable calling her (Y/N), Nyx would really love to punish you for disloyalty."

     "Don't get me wrong Seth. You're trying to be sarcastic there. Anyway, (Y/N)."

     "Huh?" You turned away to look at her.

     "About a while ago, you two really are cute."

     "What?"

     Cayla sighed. "Never mind. It was nothing. So, where do we go now?"

     "Actually, I have no idea," Seth said. "Lieutenant called us for company so it's her mission."

     "It's everyone's mission," you said. "In case you're not aware, I've brought you with me because I know that I can trust you no matter what happens. We're going to save Lady Lunafreya and one of the king's loyal friends, Prompto Argentum."

     Everyone automatically went silent, carefully listening to what you said. It was a good thing to get them company. They listen very well to your orders and they never went reluctant to follow them.

     "Where do we go then?" Seth asked.

     Something vibrated in your pockets. Your hand went reaching for the tiny material, then you placed the com on your ear.

     "(Y/N)."

     "Nyx! How are you?"

     "Fine. We're a few miles away from Insomnia. How about you?"

     "That's . . . what I was planning to tell you."

     "What?"

     "Noct—the king blessed us to find Lady Lunafreya and Prompto. We've finally exited the city."

     "And you didn't even tell me about you leaving so suddenly?"

     "Look, I'm sorry. But we're going to be okay. I think that your duty is to protect Insomnia."

     "You don't need to be sorry. And besides," you heard him sigh through the comms, "I should be thanking you. Cor immediately told us to turn back. The news about you dreaming of the oracle not in Altissia anymore was sent to us. So thank you. I just hope nothing happens to you."

     "Thanks. But, please, protect him whatever happens."

     "You know I always will."

     "Right. Thank you."

     "Also, here's an advice. There's a certain place named Hammerhead. Don't worry, it's along the way. You'll meet someone who might help."

     "Thanks."

     "Be careful." The conversation ended. You slid the comm back into your pocket.

     Ether turned to you. "Is that Ulric?"

     "Yes," you nodded, "he said to be careful, every one of us."

     "Did he say anything that can help?" Seth looked over his shoulder.

     "Well, we're off to Hammerhead."