Chapter 5: The Oracle's Calling

The only thing that confused you was how. How did he come back to life? And as far as you remembered, Cloud was buried into the Lifestream in Gaia. It was so strange, and the worst part was, Cloud couldn't remember anything about his past. Five years had passed and you knew to yourself you had gotten over with his death.

     "Then how did you . . . how did you get here without any of us knowing? Sneaking into the palace walls is impossible for anyone." The plants lining up against the walls made you feel uncomfortable. It was the season of spring yet you could see that the leaves were all withered instead of blooming flowers.

     The male grimaced.

     "Oh alright." You sighed in vain. "You clearly don't remember anything, but where were you before you reached this place?"

     "I actually just found myself standing outside the walls of this . . ." His eyes squinted. "Place."

     "Insomnia." You nodded. "But how? Cloud, what happened before you found yourself in here?"

     "My name is Cloud?"

     "Yes. Your name is Cloud Strife." Or is it right if I told him his past? He doesn't belong in this world, though.

     The thought made you realize why he wasn't in Gaia. Tifa should know about this, but five years already passed. I don't even know if she and the others still remembered me. Oh. . . the kids. The memory of Marlene and Denzel all grown up made you feel a bit lonely; you could feel somehow a heavy weight on your shoulders.

     Do they still remember me?

     Before you could feel the tears fill in your eyes, your senses suddenly went back to Cloud who began to explain.

     "I was dreaming. All I could see was a clearing of a dark forest, the mist surrounding almost everything. In the middle stood a silhouette of a man and a woman across each other. I couldn't see their faces, but the man was giving the woman— something like a sharp object. A knife."

     Your mind was now left in plain confusion. Everything didn't make sense. But Cloud continued talking. "I couldn't hear what they were saying, but from my perspective, it seemed like the man was persuading the woman to kill someone."

     "That's odd, and . . . quite a bad omen." You shifted uncomfortably. "So afterwards you woke up and found yourself standing outside the city?"

     He nodded. "Exactly. Then before I entered this place, there was a voice inside my head. It said I need to find you. And it makes sense."

     "Huh? What do you mean?"

     "Aren't you happy now that I'm here?"

     Your lips pressed into a thin line. Were you really happy of seeing him alive again, but with no memories of his past? A deep exhale escaped your lips while closing your eyes.

     I am happy to see him here again. But I also have responsibilities to take care of. You thought, sighing. Before you could say another word, the doors clicked open that made you spin around.

     "What are you up to, woman?" Nyx was glaring at you that sent fear into you. His piercing eyes meant that he didn't like the idea of you talking to a stranger, but when his eyes darted to Cloud, the intimidating look in his eyes faded so instantly. Surely he remembered him. "Cloud Strife. Ah, yes. I remember you. I'd like to thank you and the rest of your other members once again for helping us out during the war against Niflheim."

     As expected, Cloud's Mako eyes went staring at you and you knew what he meant by that. You heaved a sigh, turning to Nyx. "Nyx, he has amnesia. I better suggest for us to stay in a safe place. I don't want the others knowing about his sudden arrival."