Chapter 21: Fallen City

As soon as he barged throughout the main gate, he couldn't describe how horrid the sight was before him. From the ruined skies that held no other than toxic smokes coming from blazes spread across the city, everything was pure disaster. His eyes followed the rushing crowd, screaming for help, others mourning with their knees bent down next to—

He couldn't bear the saddening truth. Everything that was happening here was his responsibility, especially in the absence of the king himself. He didn't know where Noctis was and now that it seemed like His Majesty still wasn't showing up, frustration had started to built up inside him.

Placing his surging anger aside, he leaped towards a forming hubbub he first noticed. Everyone was screaming. Running for their lives. However, he just couldn't do everything at once; only one at a time. He could see an amorphous, dark figure swirling on itself in rage as it chased a girl with her uniform stained with ashes, and soon he sprinted into action, swiftly stepping in of the daemon's way and blasting it off with flames.

In an instant, the monster caught fire, giving off a shriek of despair before completely disintegrating to ashes. He soon turned around to face the student who seemed to freeze on her heels, clearly traumatized.

"T-Thank you, Sir," she managed in a whisper, her wide, petrified eyes staring back at him after bowing.

"Head straight to the palace," he told him. "There are my men guarding the gates. Don't hesitate to enter." But before Nyx could run off into another, the girl called out to him so he turned around again.

"I-If by any, chance . . . did you happen to see a guy named Ciel?"

It occurred to him and he immediately nodded. "Don't worry. He's alive."

"T-Thank you!" she bowed again and quickly left towards the gates.

"Ulric!"

He followed where the voice was coming from through the unbearable disaster. He couldn't see that clearly for the smokes were hurling towards various directions, the intoxicating scent of it making his breathing difficult. Not just that. He even had to squint his eyes so he could see where he was heading to.

Until a shadow started to form slowly beyond the flames, the voice getting louder as he ran towards it. Soon enough, Cor emerged from the smoke, brows squinting, forehead creasing.

"What's going on, Ulric?"

"I don't know, Cor!" Nyx yelled in frustration through the deafening noises around them that they could hear the sound of falling debris from the buildings afar aside from the people screaming as they ran. "I don't know!"

"Where's the king?! Tell me what happened to the walls!"

"No one damn knows." Nyx hissed. "The whole city's on fire Everything's happening all at once and all I can say for now is that we gotta save Lucis' people before the plague gets to them."

Cor cursed under his breath as he kicked a pile of dirt, turning away from Nyx. "Unbelievable. What has gotten into the king?"

"I'm telling you, no one knows. Even I don't know!"

"Did you contact the lieutenant?" he turned around, and only now Nyx had noticed the ash splashed across his face.

He yelled in frustration inside his mind. "I've been calling them but no one's answering. Even (Y/N)."

Again Cor kicked the dirt with his foot.

"Not now, Cor." Nyx told him after looking around. "We gotta move. Come on!"

°

"Get over it, (Y/N)."

"I can't." You looked away with a huff, tears dwelled in your eyes. You couldn't believe what just happened.

"We have to keep going—"

"No. This is insane, Cloud." You stood. "Everything's gone. No, actually, we still haven't accomplished anything. We still haven't found Seth, even Luna and Prompto. And now I don't even know what's happening to Insomnia—this is frustrating me!"

"Calm down—"

"How can I?!" You spat, looking into his widened hues. Till you realized. "I-I'm sorry I . . ." Averting your gaze, you were about to walk away when you felt a hand take your arm.

"Don't."

"I'm unworthy."

"And don't say that—"

"I'm unworthy as a glaive, unworthy of being a protector, unworthy of being the Healer, unworthy to Noctis . . . " You told him. " . . . Unworthy to you."

"Stop it," he stared into your (e/c) orbs, but there was a sinking feeling inside you. "Not now, (Y/N). Not when we're stuck in this labyrinth. We shouldn't give up."

"Tell me, Cloud. Do you hate me?"

"No, I don't."

"Do you hate me?" you repeated as if you didn't hear his response.

"I said I don't hate you. I forgive you, (Y/N). Now that I finally have my memories back. You don't have to repent for hiding everything from me," he looked at you intently. "I'm sure you have a reason for not telling me.

". . . But I want you to be honest with me."

An eyebrow arching, you didn't say out a word.

A sigh escaped from his lips. "Do you . . . at least . . . felt something for me—"

"Yes," you tried not meeting eyes with him, but it was of no use. Everywhere you looked, you could still feel his gaze pressing down on you, a strange feeling lingering in your chest. You felt nervous of what he might say. "Yes I did. But I hope that . . . you already know I love someone else."

He chuckled. "Yeah, I know that."

You felt relief washing over you. It must have been hard for him since he had arrived uninvited in the palace garden. "I'm really sorry."

"It's fine," a smile formed across his lips, "although I honestly am hurt right now."

You grimaced. "Cloud—"

"But I'm sure it'll heal soon, so you don't have to worry about me." he said while placing his hand on his chest. "Well, actually, I think I remember accepting the fact already, years ago. Just make sure that he'll never hurt you and your feelings, alright?"

You nodded slowly, finally stepping back and looking around to break the forming ice between you two. ". . . Where are we now?"

"Forest," Cloud said. "It's night time."

You didn't realize it earlier. It had been dark and you didn't notice because there was an only source of light coming from above: the moon itself, shining bright as it hovered in the starless sky. You studied the forest. The trees were thick and tall, the distance from each other not too far. The silence wasn't that much, since you could hear the sound of crickets harmonizing in the night.

"You should sleep, I'll watch out for any casualties."

The last word seemed to lull your eyes close, however, it would have been unfair if you let him stay awake with you getting some sleep.  You refused his offer. "It's okay. I'm not sleepy anyway. Maybe let's just sit down and wait for the realm to change?"

"You sure about that?" he soon plopped down on the ground after you.

You nodded, "Yeah. And if I feel sleepy anyway, I wouldn't want you to fend off those invaders by yourself with me asleep. It sounds rude."

For the first time ever, he broke into soft laughter, and you couldn't decipher if he took what you told him as a joke or not.