Chapter 11: One Hundred Feet Below

It should've been easier if the rain didn't pour down. The ground went slippery, might as well turned out to be a tricky terrain.

"Okay, let's part into two groups. The first is in pairs, then the second consists of three," Ether said. "The nomads are actually hard to locate. It takes time before we find them."

Seth nodded. "It's also raining, I bet they're hiding right now. Cloud's with me. We'll take the grasslands."

"You're saying we're going to the forest? Fine then." Cayla rolled her eyes in annoyance. "Come on girls. Boys are being cowards at this moment."

Ignoring Seth's bicker, the three of you sprinted towards the forest's opening. You kept your eyes squinted so the rainwater wouldn't enter. The sky went grayer than usual, making the environment gloomier and mistier but as you neared, the fog cleared. You looked up to the twisted branches hovering above. The woods weren't so friendly. Roots of different sizes snaked about the ground which since was soaked in water, became softer so you had to avoid soaking in your feet. Every roots were slippery.

"This isn't what I signed up for," you hear Cayla mumble. But into the forest you ran, ignoring the tricky terrains. "Where do we find them?"

"It's always been the forest," Ether explained. "Nomads find the forest more convenient than an open area. Despite the dangers, it keeps them protected from the rain, or the scorching heat."

"Speaking of, you guys find it weird it's raining all of a sudden?"

"Yeah," you mumbled. "It was really hot just a while ago. Splitting up's a lot better though."

"And easier," Ether agreed. "Speaking of easier, looking for the drifters isn't easy."

"What do you mean?"

"It's raining. Those nomads stay in their tents. If the weather wasn't as bad as this they would've been out in the forest by now."

You bit the bottom of your lip. "Good point."

"So . . . what do we do now?" Cayla asked.

The three of you hear a shout, making your head shot towards the sound's origin. It came from the east, right where a river blocks the way. You ran towards it. The current was rushing fast. 

"Is it deep?" Ether crouched down and studied the waters. You noticed a small leaf sprouting from her wet dark hair.

"It takes more than a jump to reach the other side," Cayla said. "And there's no bridge, nor rocks to step on."

"I have a solution," you said. They turned to you in confusion, but you continued with what you're about to do.

Closing your eyes, you felt a familiar sensation coming to you. You crouched down and let your fingers touch the waters. Your fingertips went blue, and a light frosted off your hands as the ice spread throughout the waters. Soon the whole river was frozen. You opened your eyes and stood up, completely pleased at the sight.  "I think it can support a human's weight. Hope it doesn't break."

"This is so cool!" Cayla beamed. "Okay, I'm going to try walking to the other side. If nothing bad happens, the way's clear." She stepped onto the ice. Off to the other side she went, and her feet was now on the loam soiling her boots.

"Good. Let's go." Ether followed and you trailed behind.

You were lucky you finally had the direction on where to go. The trees were quite similar to each other, and the distance was no longer than half a meter stick that if you didn't hear the faint cheers and shouts of the drifters you were sure you'd been lost.