Chapter One - Return

(A/N: Thank you and Welcome to my story. This story has been published through Write More Publications which no longer exists. So I thought I would add to WattPad for everyone to enjoy. I am rewriting it as I go, and tweaking things here and there. Hope you like it!) (All Rights Reserved ©2018)

Chapter One

Return

Since I was three, my mother and I called Austin, Texas, home. That is, until recently. Two weeks ago, she received a letter informing us of my Uncle Hank's passing—and I wasn't even aware I even had an Uncle Hank. He was my father's brother. My father ... whom my mother rarely spoke of. Growing up, every time I asked her about him I saw how sad she became, so eventually I stopped asking.

I was happy with the way things were and I thought my mother was, too. I had no reason to throw outlandish fits to get my way, but when my mother informed me that we were moving, I threw the fit of the century. I mean, to move on such a short notice to a family estate that I hadn't known existed until two weeks before was troubling, to say the least.

My mother was a very giving person and I wasn't greedy like other teens my age. No, I was satisfied with my life in the city. But now, I felt banished to a secluded, unknown world ... a world with sky-scrapping trees instead of buildings and green fields instead of gray paved parking lots. I didn't understand the sudden desire my mother had to be involved in anything to do with our family. Why now after all these years? Was it because the last link to my father's former life died? Did she feel ashamed for being away for so long? Did she feel obligated to fill some sort of mysterious role?

I didn't object to many of my mother's requests or ideas, but this one was absurd. We lived happily and content in the city with no big problems or issues, so what was with her sudden dislike of our neighborhood? I protested quite dramatically to the very end. My mother was taking me away from my city, my friends, and my life to a new, unknown and imprisoning existence. I was mortified.

Now, I sat in the back seat behind the passenger side instead of in front with her, with my arms crossed tightly across my chest in full pout mode, protesting against this move. She thought I was being overly dramatic. Maybe I was, but I thought I was entitled to a temper tantrum since I had been a non-whiney kid over the years. It was a lengthy drive and I must have fallen asleep because, as I opened my eyes, the sun had set, making everything darker. If I hadn't known what time it was, I wouldn't have been able to tell if the sun was setting or rising. The trees hid the horizon. There were no more buildings or houses in sight, just trees—tall, piney, green trees. No more city noises. How was I going to function in such a quiet atmosphere?

"We're almost there, Savina," my mother called from the front. I stared out the window disgusted instead of meeting her gaze in the rearview mirror.

A few miles later, we approached a large, black iron electronic gate, set about two hundred yards from the main road. It was surrounded by a large brick and stone fence that had to be at least eight feet tall and stretched into the thick forest. I couldn't imagine what kind of man my late uncle must have been to need such outlandish security. But to me, it was a bit much out in the middle of nowhere. Security lights lit up the small entry area as she pulled up to a boxed keypad where she punched in a code. A moment later, the gate opened, allowing us to enter the darkening prison of the trees. As we pulled through, I noticed a guard station to the right.

Guards? I thought to myself. I couldn't imagine why someone needed guards this far out in the woods unless they were doing something illegal. With that, the wheels were turning in my overactive mind. The road was narrow and paved but still had enough room for a passing car as we drove for what seemed to be another twenty minutes.