Chapter Seven - Michael

Chapter Seven

Michael

The night breeze was unseasonably warm as small, white capped waves crashed against the sandy beach. The moon was full and bright and lit up the area the way candles light up the evening. It was incredible and way too romantic. I stared out across the shimmering lake that sparkled in the moonlight, nervous, wringing my hands, instead of looking into those beautiful eyes of his. As he sat next to me, my heart fluttered and my breath paused. We sat in silence for a while and I could feel his gaze on my face, making my cheeks warm uncomfortable.

"What did you want to talk about?" I asked, breaking the silence.

"I was wondering something," he said in pleasant, soft tone.

"Okay, are you going to tell me what you were wondering?" I muttered in a semi-sarcastic tone.

"Well, your mother told me that in two days, once all the students have arrived, that there will be a ball to commemorate the new school year. I was wondering if you would kindly allow me to escort you to the ball," he asked, staring into my eyes. How could he be so brave to do that?

Suddenly, I had to look away again.

"A ball! My mother didn't mention it to me," I complained.

"It's sort of tradition, actually. Every new school year, once all the students are settled in, there is a ball so that everyone can meet and greet one another." He explained with a smooth grace.

"Oh, okay, but you're not a student here," I stated frankly.

"Yes, but your mother invited me to attend and visit whenever I like," he pointed out smugly.

"True," I paused, thinking. "Yes, I'll go to the dance with you," I accepted in a wispy voice, shocking myself that I answered without thinking of it further. I figured I would play nice, since I secretly had a crush on him. He smiled at me and I could swear his eyes began to glow, reminding me of something. "May I ask you a personal question?"

"Yes," he answered curiously.

"I was wondering what kind magical being you are." I felt so weird asking that. 

"Oh." Again, I caught him by surprise. "Well, I guess you'll eventually find out anyway." He fidgeted with his hands nervously.

"Yes, I will," I agreed smugly.

"I am ... an ... Angel," he slowly spoke each word. When he said Angel, it sounded as if he was sad about what he was, but I couldn't imagine why he would be.

Okay, he caught me off guard. My jaw dropped and I gasped. I couldn't think. Was this the Michael that saved my mother and me all those years ago? I slowly closed my mouth, feeling inundated all of a sudden. My breath hitched before I questioned him, "The Michael," I whispered in awe.

"Yes," he said tenderly, staring into my curious eyes.

I got up and walked to the water's edge. My mind was whirling with questions and strange flashing memories of dreams I once had as a little girl. He looked after me from his seat, allowing me some time alone. I walked quite a distance from the bungalow and sat in the sand, not caring that my dress would ruin, and continued to watch the waves roll in. Was my strange crush for him only because he saved me or because he was The Archangel? Sadness filled me. I put my face in my hands and sighed.

A soft, gentle voice came from the dark behind me, startling me, "Savina?" He approached and sat in the sand next to me. "Are you alright?"

I nodded, staring across the water, unable to speak. We sat in silence for a long time.