Chapter 22 - New Years

Chapter 22

New Years 

New Year's Day was rapidly approaching and I was the happiest I had ever been in my life. One more week until the staff and students returned from their Christmas vacation and for classes to begin again. On New Year's Eve, the boys got things prepared at the football field so we could have our very own fireworks display at midnight. It was going to be freezing and we were going to need plenty of blankets. For the fireworks, I made up a potion and spelled it to make a fantastic exhibition. I was excited. Other than the shield spell, I hadn't done much with potions and spells.

"Oh, my goodness! It's freezing out here, Gillian," Ellen complained to my mom.

Marcus and I snickered at his grandmother. We loved her, but out of the kitchen she was a totally different woman.

We made ourselves comfortable—as comfortable as you can get with your nose freezing—in the stands. I nuzzled into Michael and he held me tightly, trying to keep me warm, with at least three blankets on top of us. My mother and Timothy were cuddled together and Marcus eyed me for a second, raising an eyebrow in their direction. I just laughed that he hadn't noticed them before and nodded.

I chanted the spell to trigger the potion and everyone oohed and awed. It was nice to have my new larger family together again, even though we were all shivering more than watching the fireworks.  

At the end of the fireworks display, I was suddenly thrust into a vision. I was watching someone who had a shovel. I was confused. Why was I watching someone preparing to dig a hole? Then, I gasped. He was at the edge of my shield. What did he think he was going to do? Dig a whole under my shield. Give me a break. Then, I suddenly became worried that this person's idea to dig under my shield might just work.

I came out of my vision to see everyone standing in front me. I looked around at all their worried faces. "What?" I asked in a panic.

"Are you alright?" Michael asked slowly.

I jumped up out of his arms. "Yeah, it was a vision. Someone is attempting to dig under my shield," I practically yelled.

My mom looked at Rupert, and Rupert looked at Marcus, who then darted off the stands and phased into his Meta-Wolf form before stepping a foot onto the field. Then, he ran off into the woods, I assumed, in the direction of the intruder. Rupert walked into the woods to phase and I followed after him. 

"Wait, I can handle this," I shouted after them, but it was too late. They were already running at full force and were gone.

"Honey, are you sure?" my mom asked.

I looked at her with a crazy look as my eyebrows pulled together, "Really?" I asked in disbelief, shaking my head.

I thought for a moment what spell to recite and just made one up on the fly. "Blood around, blood from me, to the shield from thee; I command you to obey me!" Then, I thought of the shield and forced it deep into the earth and made the border expand further out. I then forced a vision to see if it worked and I saw the intruder writhing on the ground in pain. My shield threw him some thirty feet with burns from head to toe. I felt bad. I didn't mean to do that, but he should have known better.

"I have to go," I shouted, once I was out of the vision. And before anyone could object, I phased to the intruder, who was screaming and jerking around. 

Pain suddenly shot through my chest at the sight of the intruder in agony and for some reason, I felt like I was going to fall to my knees and cry. I barely touched his shoulder and right before I phased him to Timothy at the football field, I saw Marcus and Rupert approaching fast. They watched as I phased with the intruder. The extreme shock on their Meta-Wolf form was something I would never forget.