Chapter 10 - Sidekick of Embarrassment

Chapter 10

A Sidekick of Embarrassment

At breakfast, I sat in my usual place next to my newly made friends. Aeddan was finishing his toast and Audrey was looking around the room for Marcus. I noticed she looked vexed.

"Have you seen Marcus this morning, Savina?" Audrey asked, continuing to look around.

"Nope, I sure haven't. Maybe he's doing something for Ellen or Rupert," I said, rolling the silverware from my napkin.

"Maybe you're right," she sighed in surrender.

"You seem down this morning, Audrey. Are you alright?" I asked.

"Yes, I just miss him," she whined.

I thought that she was silly, but I knew exactly how she felt. I missed Michael, too. I sighed to myself quietly, hoping no one would notice. Unfortunately, my new best friend realized this and looked up at me from her breakfast. I blushed and smiled at her, hoping she wouldn't mention my quiet omission.

Audrey was eyeing me in a strange manner and I realized it was because she noticed the glowing stone around my neck. "Wow, Savina, that's a beautiful necklace. Where did you get it?"

I cleared my throat nervously. "A dear friend gave it to me," I said lifting it to show her.

"Where did your friend find it? I want one," her voice raised an octave as she admired the glowing stone.

"Well, I'm not exactly sure, but it's unique so I don't think you can find it just anywhere," I stuttered.

"Could you ask, please?" she begged.

"Honestly, Audrey, I hardly have a chance to talk to or see my friend. I think it might be something that was passed down through the family, anyway," I wasn't exactly lying, but wasn't telling the whole truth either. I also didn't want to give too much away.

"Oh. Okay," she said, sighing in defeat.

Aeddan, quiet as ever, looking from my face to Atrina's a few times before she nodded to him, as if to answer an unspoken question that only she heard. I thought that maybe Angels could talk to each other that way. That could explain why he was often silent.

As I was leaving, Marcus finally arrived and sat next to Audrey, who was all too eager to give him a morning kiss. I smiled at them. Marcus looked a little bashful, for a change. I had to stifle a giggle. His expression was too funny.

Morning classes went well. Mr. Hienly gave us homework in three different books. I wasn't too keen on that. Mr. Troust transformed into his Meta-Wolf form right there in the classroom. It scared me enough that I decided to sit in the back of the classroom for the remainder of the school year.

I had only seen a Meta-Wolf once, in the dark and outside, but seeing it in the light, up close and personal, was way too real for my taste. He sauntered around the class and stood on his hind legs, putting his massive front paws on his desk. Many students got a nice giggle over that, but not me. I think my eyes must have stayed bugged out for the rest of the class. Luckily, Lilith didn't get my attention today. The large massive Meta-Wolf did. His dark brown and black fur added to his already menacing looking snout. I had to say he was a little larger than Marcus's Meta-wolf but his coloring and a few scars along his snout made him more intimidating. 

For Spells and Magic, Mrs. Maxwell went around the class asking each student to perform a small spell or enchantment. I didn't know what I was going to do. Each time I did anything I almost blew the area up. She got to me and I kindly declined, but she insisted. I told her the only thing I knew how to do was to bring a book from somewhere else and to create a blue sphere.