• prologue.

»»°•Zonnique•°««

      "Mom, I-I'm p-pregnant," I stammered, tears pouring down my face. It was last month, when I was walking home from school and some boys just started surrounding me and they raped me. It was the worst nightmare. I remember fighting them off of me; but they would just hit me or laugh. I just stopped trying. I'm just a weak girl anyway.

       That explains why I'm pregnant. I didn't find out that I was pregnant until I started throwing up, having mood swings and I missed my period. So, I took a pregnancy test.

        I have no idea who the father is. Usually girls get an  abortion just for that reason. The thing is, I don't like that. I think they should've at least given the baby a chance to live. So, I'm keeping this baby; even if I'm only 16.

      "What do you mean you're pregnant, Zo?!" She yelled in my face. My mom's not the best. My father left us when I was only 5. He never came back. Since then, my mom became crazy.

"I w-was r-raped," I cried. By the face she made, I knew she didn't believe me. This is not gonna end well.

"You're lying! Get out of my house!" She yelled, pointing towards the door.

"Mom, p-please beli-"

"Get out! you hoe!" She pointed towards the door again.

Though my mom didn't love me, I still loved her.

•••

       I started living with my boyfriend and his parents. They accepted me even when I was 3 months pregnant. I met Kevin at school. We instantly clicked and I fell in love with him. Or so I thought. He was 17 years old. He accompanied me to my doctor appointments.

      When I went in to labor, he was there; including his parents. I named the baby Taylor Lynn Pullins. I gave her my last name since I had no idea who the father was; and I wasn't planning on finding out.

       Everything seemed so perfect. Not until Taylor became 2 years old. I was coming home late from trying to find a job. Plus, I was struggling in school. Kevin and I were arguing a lot. He's always assuming I'm cheating since I come home late.

       He thought I was doing stuff behind his back. He thought I was being unfaithful. He called me a hoe. I was hurt, I cried everyday. Taylor, poor Taylor, she didn't know anything that was going on. I lie to her every time she see me cry. Like I said and like I've been told, I'm just a weak girl anyway.

      One day, Kevin's parents went on a 2-weeks business trip. It was around 10 PM, I was sitting on the island with Taylor sitting in front of me, eating her cereal. I was waiting for her to be done.

     "What the fuck is this?!" Kevin yelled, charging at me. He had my phone in his hand. He was going through my messages?

        I grabbed it out of his hand and read the message. It was from an unfamiliar number. This is probably people doing prank calls/ text.

"Can't wait to see you tomorrow. It was fun last night ;)"

       It read. Kevin was breathing very heavy. He must be very mad, I don't see why though. But, Kevin have anger problems. He never wanna take his pills.

I shrugged. "It's just a text message."

I only sounded so careless because it was obvious that it was a prank. But, obviously, Kevin didn't see that.

     "Just a text message?!" He yelled, making Taylor jump. Then, he pinched the bridge of his nose. "You know what, get out." He said, calmly.

     "Kev, where am I gonna go? You're the only one I have." I said, with tears coming out of my eyes. "Please don't do this."

"Take Taylor with you," He said. "I don't wanna see you two ever again."

        "Kevin, please!" I begged. I was more worried about Taylor, I could careless about me. What is she gonna eat? I have no money. I just wish Kevin would believe me when I say nothing is going on.

"Just get out, Zonnique!" He only call me Zonnique when he's really pissed. My name to him was Nique or Zo.

          I nodded, before wiping the tears that was strolling down my face. I helped Taylor get down from her seat. I grab her arm and walk out the door. Second time being kicked out of someone's home.

"Mommy," Taylor said, with her little voice. "Where we going?"

"I don't know, baby" I sniffed. "I don't know"

•••

     We have been homeless for 2 and a half week. I never ate but Taylor have. It was 3 days ago when I found a 5 dollar bill on the floor. I picked it up and went to the nearest store and bought Taylor some chips and a small water bottle.

     We were walking around this rich neighborhood. Taylor got tired so we just stopped walking and sat on the ground. She leaned her head against me and fell asleep. I also haven't slept neither.

    This man and what looks like his son walked up to me. His son looked about 17. He is also cute and can dress. He hair was cut low and they were curly. I couldn't help but to stare at him. He was so damn cute.
"May I ask why are you sitting here?" The man asked me, raising his eyebrows. "This is my property."

      His son laughed, showing his sharp fangs. Damn. But, I quickly look away, feeling like he was laughing at me. "Dad, isn't it obvious that they're homeless?"

     "Chresanto, please go in the car and wait for me" His dad demanded. Chresanto. His name suits him well. But, what he said really hurt me and made me a little angry; though it was true. But, there's nothing funny about being homeless.

He kissed his teeth. "Man, whateva" He walked away. His attitude sucks.

"Sorry about that," His dad apologized. "Are you really homeless?"

"Uh...I-I" I stammered. My cheeks got red, in embarrassment. I look down and nodded.

         "If you wanna make money and find a place to live, you can work for me" He suggested. I look up at him, waiting for him to continue. "We need a housekeeper. The last one got fired. You get paid $250 dollars a month"

I picked up Taylor, laying her head on my shoulder, and stood up. I nodded. "When do I start?"

         "You can start today," He said and I nodded again. I couldn't be any more happier right now. "But, please tell me this is your sister," He pointed at Taylor and I furrowed my eyebrows. "Cause we don't allow housekeepers with a child unless they're siblings"

That's a stupid rule! But, I had to lie. I needed this job. "Yeah, she is my sister"

"Good." He said. "Then, you're hired"