• sunshine state.

»»°•Zonnique•°««

I went down the stairs, strolling my suitcase behind me. It's only 5:30 AM, so it surprised me to see my mom sitting on the island drinking wine. She looked at me in surprise also, then looked away.

"You're moving out?"

"No." I replied. "Going on a road trip with Chresanto to Central Florida. What're you doing drinking wine early this morning?"

She sighed and finally looked at me. "I'm just stressed out."

"Over what?"

"You, Nique, you." She stood up, walking towards me. "The things I've said to you is eating me up alive. I was wrong for what I said. And you not wanting to look past that and forgive me is slowly killing me. I'm really sorry, baby. I really am." Her eyes welled up with tears.

My eyes watered as well, so I looked away. "Can we not do this, this morning?" I mumbled.

She grabbed my arm, and I quickly pulled it away. She sighed, as tears fell from her eyes. "I love both you and Jacob. I'm sorry for what I said. I just want my daughter back. I want my whole family back."

I didn't say anything. There was a light knocking on the front door. Knowing it was Chresanto, I quickly grab an apple from the fruit bowl.

"I gotta go." I told her before opening the door and closed it behind me. Chresanto raised a brow at me, probably wondering why I didn't let him in to say hi to my mom. I stood on the tip of my toes and kissed him. "Goodmorning, baby."

"Morning," He grabbed my suitcase and put it in the trunk of his car. We both got in the car. He looked at me when he heard the biting noise when I bit down on the apple. "Didn't eat breakfast?"

I shook my head. "Didn't have time."

"You want me to stop somewhere and buy you breakfast?" He started the car and backed out of the driveway.

"No, maybe in a hour or two." I put on my seatbelt before biting down on the apple again. Chresanto grabbed my hand and took two big bites out of it. "Did Ray and Bahja leave yet?"

He shrugged, still chewing. "They're supposed to."

Nique"Did y'all leave yet?"

I sent to Ray. Chresanto grabbed my hand again and took another bite. I pouted. "You know, if you wanted one, I could've just went back inside and get you one."

"I know." He chuckled. "But, I like this one better."

I rolled my eyes playfully and turned on the radio. I pushed the chair back and laid back. I closed my eyes and exhaled.

Chresanto placed a hand on my thigh. "You sleepy?"

I nodded. "I fell asleep late last night, packing."

He chuckled deeply. I opened one eye, wondering what made him chuckle. He glanced at me. "You're such a slacker."

"Shut up." I laughed slightly.

I closed my eyes, but to only open them back when my phone vibrated. I let out an irritated sigh and grabbed it, checking the message from Ray.

Ray "Yeah. About 10 minutes ago."

I didn't reply back. I closed my eyes once again, and drift off to sleep.

-

I slowly squinted my eyes open and I sat up. We were at the gas station. I groaned at my sudden headache. I got down from the car and I saw Chresanto walking out the gas store. He looked at me and smiled.