Chapter 12: Butterflies

Ashton

Calum and I walk into the diner, a smile on my face and papers in his hands. My walk full of happiness and stature.

Guess I should explain some things.

Calum has three jobs, all of which he is still barely able to pay his rent and feed himself. We both pay the same amount in rent and in groceries, and I have one job. On top of that, Calum is going to school and walking to each job. I realized that my manager had fired two people recently and told Calum to apply there.

And that brings us to now.

We sit down at a table in the back where Taylor does all his interviews, Calum bites his lip playing with his fingers. His right leg bounces up and down rapidly, the nervousness getting to him. Everytime he moves his leg it hits mine gently, the action causing tiny, tiny butterflies.

"Hey." I place my hand on his to get his attention. His head snaps to his hand then to my eyes. "You'll do fine. He knows you work at three different places and that you walked to work."

"Is that supposed to make me feel better?" Calum lets out a shakey breath.
I shrug. "Not really, it's just for reassurance."

My eyes trace his face, looking at the perfection in front of me. Starting from his amazingly built jaw line, going to his cheek bones, back down to his beautifully pink and plump lips, then his nose, and lastly his puppy dog brown eyes. His hair dark brown with the blonde streaks in it syled to almost perfection.

He's gorgeous.

When Calum notices my stare and our eyes connect, we both look away as well as move our hands apart. I fight to keep the blush from forming on my cheeks.

I look towards the opening behind the counter just as Taylor makes his way through. I motion for him, his steps become quicker as Calum and I both stand up.

"Hey Ashton." Taylor smiles lightly at me, his focus on Calum in an instant. "You must be Calum. I'm Taylor, the manager here at the diner."

"Nice to meet you." Calum forces a smile, his eyes showing slight panic. I place my hand on his shoulder squeezing it lightly. He lets out a breath, and stands straighter.

"Well, let's start this interview." Taylor nods, he turns his head to me. "Ash, would you mind giving us a few minutes?"

"Of course, I'll just go talk to Nate." I smile at my manager then Calum before walking up to the counter. "Hey Nate."

"Hey Ash." Nate grins at me. "How have you been?"

"Good I guess. My sister showed up out of nowhere so she's rooming at my place till we find somewhere for her to stay." I lean against the wall behind the counter, the opening of the counter on my left.

"Siblings are always good." Nate nods stacking the plastic cups. "Isn't it your day off?"

"Yeah, but a friend of mine who is also staying at my place for a little has an interview." I shrug and twirl my bike keys around my finger. Nate looks around the diner finding Calum sitting at the interview table with Taylor, he looks Calum over for longer than I liked before turning back to me.

"He's cute Ash, how did you land him?" Nate winks at me.

My cheeks burn, "No! He's just a friend!"

"Okay if you say so." Nate laughs at me while shaking his head, a smirk lining his lips.

Nathaniel Chatfield, 23 and absolutely stunning to look at. He has a light complexion with strawberry blonde hair, and bright blue eyes. He stands a good four inches taller than me, his build very athletic. He is super polite and kind hearted, never has a bad customer, and has a killer smile.