Chapter 15: Death

It didn't take long, much like you suspected. The door slammed, and you heard a loud burp. Cursing ensued as someone bumped repeatedly into stuff, the noises loud even in the back yard. Natsuki tightened up in her sleep, and you reached over, holding her arm. She grabbed your hand, and you sighed softly.
Please God let her be ok. You thought, listening to the man rummaging through the house. You laid back, moving your hand away from her as you sighed, happily closing your eyes. Until you smelt the distinct smell of wine.
"Who the hell *hic* are you?" You heard a very slurred voice say. It didn't take long for his alcohol-smelling breaths to reach your nose. You coughed slightly, opening your eyes to look like you were sleeping, before jumping up surprised.
Dadsuki wasn't a big man, not at all. He was short like his daughter, with an open button up shirt and a mess of red hair. He was holding a wine bottle in his hand, and it was at that point Natsuki sat up.
"Hey Dad." She said, and the man shot her a slightly annoyed glace, before pointing at you and stumbling.
"Who is he?" He asked, looking at you. You grimaced, and sighed. I really hate drunks. Natsuki looked at him with an award winning smile, and she stood up.
"He's a fellow student. His house burnt down and he didn't have anywhere else to stay, and he figured he could have a hotel after school tomorrow, but for right now, he just needed somewhere to rest his head. So I set up some blankets.. out.. here...", She said, quieting under the intense glare of her father. The man stared daggers at her, before going back inside.
"He can stay for the night, but that's all." He said, sounding very sober for a moment. You narrowed your eyes, wondering how he managed to be so threatening. You scooted closer to Natsuki, sitting next to her as she wrapped her arms around her legs.
"He's not always like this.. I promise." She muttered, tears building in her eyes. You sighed as you rubbed them away, and you slowly started pulling rose petals from her hair.
"He seems to act more like he doesn't wanna care then that he actually doesn't." You replied, as she relaxed around you. You heard a door open and shut, and the door locked as you fixed her hair up. She still hugged her knees tightly.
"{Y/N}, why do people pass on?" She asked, suddenly very deep. Her eyes were staring at the heavens. The North Star was beautiful that night.
You struggled to find an acceptable answer, before replying in the way you were told.
"Little one, people don't die for a specific reason. Sometimes it's an accident, sometimes it's not meant to be. Some people live out their usefullness, while others have done so much good they can't possibly do more. Sometimes people die to teach some a lesson, but honestly, people just.. die. They pass on." You replied, hugging her close as she began to cry. She started drawing a word in the sand, and you knew what it would be.
Mother.

A/N: ok guys, so, sorry for the horrifically short chapter. It has a lot of meaning to it, and it's my view on why Natsuki's the way she is, and dadsuki is how he is. But, hey, that's just a theory! A GAME THEORY!
Toodeloo~