Chapter 24

Mallory

My mom insisted on throwing me a baby shower. Never mind that I was overwhelmed with papers and finals. Never mind that I felt like it was greedy calling half the people who were at the wedding back for another party where they had to shower me with more gifts. Never mind that I was cranky AF because my feet were swollen and I had heartburn.

So the second weekend in May, I drove home with Kris and Vera for the shower. It was women only because my mom felt having men at a baby shower was scandalous. She even went as far as to send my dad away on a golf weekend.

"I invited Karen and Aaliyah, but they said they had something planned for you and Shawn. You hadn't told me that, Mallory," my mom said as she made punch in her gigantic cut glass punch bowl.

"I think it's something small," I said. "Shawn mentioned it to me on Thursday when I saw him for the appointment."

"I hope he doesn't mind that this shower is only for the ladies," she said.

Seriously? He was so relieved.

"I'm sure he'll get over the disappointment."

Thankfully my mom was horrible at detecting sarcasm.

Three hours later I was sprawled out on the couch, exhausted.

"That's a lot of neutral baby clothing," Kris observed as she looked at the pile of gifts I'd received.

"No one agrees with my decision to be surprised," I said with a pout.

I caught so much crap today from people who complained that they couldn't buy pink or blue clothing.

"Do you have any sense of what the baby is?" Vera asked.

I caressed my bump. "None at all. Sometimes I'll think it feels like a boy, but other times I'm sure it's a girl."

"What does Shawn think?" my mom asked as she picked up a couple stray glasses from the coffee table.

"He refuses to guess. He also refuses to say which he'd prefer," I said.

Thinking of him made me want to text him, but my phone was in my purse out in the hall. I'd have to get up off the couch to get it. Pregnancy problems.

"I think it's a girl," Kris announced.

"It's totally a boy," Vera countered.

"One of you is probably right," I said as I slowly lifted myself off the couch. I went and retrieved my phone. I had several texts from Shawn, which made me smile.

Shawn: how is the shower going?

Shawn: did your aunt patty touch your belly a thousand times like she did at the wedding?

Shawn: I'm painting, by the way

He'd sent a picture of the nursery which was changing from white to a pale gray. The baby's room was going to be decorated very simply without any type of theme. The main color would be gray, and the accent color would be determined after the baby was born. The hard part was painting, so I was thankful that would be done ahead of the due date. We'd ordered the furniture which was due to arrive at his condo that week. His dad and mom were going to help him assemble it so that I didn't have to worry about any of that when I got there. We'd also ordered a bassinet which would sit by our bed. The baby would sleep there for about three months.

Me: I'm impressed with your painting skills!

Me: My belly was touched constantly. Aunt Patty was the worst, though.