Chapter 25

Shawn

Mallory's graduation ceremony was great. I felt I huge surge of pride as my wife walked across the stage. She'd been worried that her name had changed too late to get it in the program as Mendes, but there it was. It was also what they called her as she'd received her degree.

She'd had to submit a rushed passport change, too, and it had arrived just in time. When she got to Toronto, we'd have to file a bunch of paperwork to get her permanent status.

After the long ceremony, and after hundreds of photos of Mal with her degree, the Everetts took us to lunch at a restaurant where they'd made reservations. I'd managed to only get stopped a dozen or so times on campus, probably because everyone was focused on the graduates. I wasn't so lucky at lunch. This was Mallory's day and it aggravated me that people kept interrupting us. I refused to take pictures during the meal and asked the manager to sneak me out the back when we left.

We went to Mal's apartment and loaded the last of her things in the car. She gave her parents her cap and gown to take with them and changed into comfortable clothes for the trip. The goodbyes were next.

Her mom was a sobbing mess, which I understood. I think she would have preferred that Mallory give birth in Virginia. We assured them that we'd call as soon as labor started. They could hop in the car and get there within 12 hours, or they might be able to catch a flight and get there quicker.

Mal's dad was his usual stoical self. He told me to take care of his daughter, and I knew he meant it since it came across as almost a threat. He hugged Mallory and for a split second looked as if he might choke up. He got himself under control, though.

She'd said goodbye to Vera and Kris before graduation, since everyone knew how hectic things would be today. I knew that leaving them was extremely hard for Mal.

We'd been driving about three hours, and Mallory had slept for most of it. I didn't mind. I enjoyed the music playing softly on the car stereo and the pretty scenery along the Virginia and West Virginia highways.

"Can we stop for food?" she asked sleepily.

"You're awake! And yes, just tell me what you want."

"You know what I want," she said.

"That almost sounds sexy, except I know you're talking about guacamole and not me," I joked.

"I want the guac now. I'll have you when we get to the hotel."

"Am I a snack?"

"Damn right."

We found a Chipotle and had dinner there. Mal got double guacamole in her chicken bowl and a side of it with chips. I made a mental note to run out and buy her a bunch of avocados once we got to my place.

We drove about two more hours before stopping for the night in Pennsylvania. I could tell Mallory was fading fast when we made it to our room.

"Go to sleep, babe," I told her as I set the overnight bags down.

She nodded and went to the bathroom to get ready. When she came out she crawled into bed.

"You aren't joining me?" she asked.

"I've got some emails to catch up on. I'll be in bed soon," I said from seat at the hotel room desk.

"But I might be asleep by then."

I swiveled my chair around to face her. "If you are that tired then going right to sleep is what you need."

"I'll be the judge of what I need," she said.