Chapter 48

Mallory

I was debating whether I should tell Shawn what he'd said to me in my coma-dreams when the door to my room opened. My mom and dad walked in, Gracie in my dad's arms.

I told myself not to cry, since I didn't want to scare her.

"Gracie!" I said happily, fighting back the happy tears.

My dad put her in my arms. She smiled up at me and then laughed. I pulled her little body to my chest and nuzzled her cheek. I breathed in deeply to capture her wonderful baby smell.

"I missed you so much," I whispered in her ear. "I love you, Grace."

I looked up and saw that everyone was a little misty eyed. Since I'd woken up, I'd come to realize that I must have been in really bad shape based on how everyone was treating me now.

I sat there holding Grace and talking to her. Shawn sat down in his seat right next to me. My parents took the two chairs by the window.

"You look much better, kiddo," my dad said.

"Thanks. I showered, so I feel a lot better. I want to go home, though."

"Dr. Sutton said the earliest you could go home is tomorrow," Shawn said. "You have to be observed for 24 hours."

"Did you hear that? Mama might come home tomorrow. Wouldn't that be good?" I asked Grace in an animated voice. She laughed.

My parents stayed an hour, until Grace started to get fussy. She'd missed her late afternoon nap, so they were going to take her home to give her a bottle and put her down for bed a bit early. I knew it would be tough getting her back on a schedule when I got home, but it was to be expected that everything was off. As long as she was eating and sleeping and getting lots of love, I was happy.

After they left, my nurse came to get my dinner order. I picked from the short menu.

"Can you go get something in the cafeteria so we can eat together?" I asked Shawn.

"Of course," he said. "I'll be right back."

While Shawn was gone, I thought about how wonderful he'd been. He was exceedingly attentive and loving. Yes, I'd told him months ago not to be like that, but these were extenuating circumstances. I needed his affection right now.

Shawn returned soon after my dinner had been delivered. He sat next to me and ate his turkey sandwich as I ate my spaghetti. It wasn't great, but I was starving.

I'd ordered a slice of chocolate cake for dessert. "Share with me?" I suggested as I pointed my fork at the cake.

"Sure," he said.

He took the spoon and I took the fork. The piece was quite big, so there was plenty for both of us.

"You know what this reminds me of?" he asked.

I smiled. I knew exactly what he was thinking. "Our wedding night."

"Yep. Right after we made it official."

I felt myself blush. I missed that part of our relationship.

We finished the cake and Shawn pushed the tray aside.

"You were going to tell me about your dreams," he said, taking my hands in his. He gently ran his thumb over the bruise that the IV had left behind.

Did I want to tell him? I probably shouldn't have brought it up. If I told him that he'd told me he loved me in my dreams, he'd only feel guilty about how he really felt. He'd been so wonderful to me; the last thing I wanted to do was make him feel bad.