Chapter 29

Shawn

Beth handed me my phone. I had dozens of texts and calls. Fucking hell, Mallory was in labor!

"I need to get to the hospital," I said in a panic. "The baby's coming!"

"You can't drive like this. Let me get my keys. I can take you," Beth said.

She sped through downtown Toronto and I was soon at the hospital. I'd texted Mal that I was on my way, but I knew I might be too late. If I'd missed the birth of my child, I'd never forgive myself. Hell, I wasn't going to forgive myself for not being home when labor started.

"Good luck!" Beth yelled as I exited the car and ran in the emergency entrance.

A nurse walked me to the labor and delivery wing. "Your wife is in room 6," she said before turning around to get back to her station.

I saw my dad standing in the hall.

"Hurry!" he yelled, pointing to the door. "She's delivering now!"

I rushed past him into the room.

What I walked in on shocked me. Mallory was literally about to give birth. I know my dad had just said that, but seeing her was startling. Her feet were up in the stirrups and my mom was holding her hand. The doctor was between her legs and everything was right there.

"Just a couple more pushes, Mallory," the doctor said.

"I'm here," I said once I recovered from the shock of the scene.

I went to the side opposite my mom. She shook her head at me and gave me a stern look.

"I'm so sorry, Mal," I said as I leaned in to kiss her cheek. She pulled away from me.

"Here comes another contraction," the nurse said as she looked at a machine. "Get ready to push!"

When the contraction struck, Mallory sat slightly upright and started to push while the doctor counted to ten.

"I can see the head! You're doing great! Let's do another 10!" She then started counting again.

Mallory pushed again. I watched her and couldn't believe how hard she was working.

When the contraction was done she laid back down, breathing heavily.

"You are doing amazing!" I said to her.

She looked at me but said nothing. I deserved this, but it still hurt like hell. I'd failed her and I hated myself for that.

A few minutes later it was time to push again. I helped support Mal in the upright position and I counted along with the doctor.

"The head is out! One more good push!" Dr. Abbott said.

The counting started again. This time the doctor stopped at five. "It's a girl!" she said holding our baby up.

I looked at Mallory. "You did it! Look at her! She's perfect!"

The nurse took the baby and placed her on Mallory's chest. The doctor cut the cord. I'd planned on doing that, but she didn't even acknowledge me. I was probably the worst father she'd ever encountered.

Mallory held the baby and started to cry. "Hello, baby Grace," she said quietly.

I reached down and touched my daughter's head. She was so beautiful. I felt hot tears slide down my cheeks.

After five minutes or so, the nurse took Grace and weighed her and started to clean her up. She was 7 pounds 6 ounces and 20.5 inches long. She had fine brown hair and gray-blue eyes. She was the most beautiful little thing I'd ever laid eyes on.