Chapter 50

Mallory

I woke up from my nap when I heard Gracie wake up from hers. She wasn't crying, but was making noises in her crib. I looked at my phone. We'd slept almost two hours. Maybe the doctor was right that I needed more sleep.

I picked up my beautiful smiling baby and brought her to my face so I could give her kisses. She giggled at me. I changed her diaper, tickling her bare tummy to keep the giggles going.

As soon as I opened the bedroom door, I was hit by the smell of Thai food. Had Shawn burnt the enchiladas and ordered take-out?

I walked down the hall and gasped. The dining room table was decorated with a maroon tablecloth and dozens of small votive candles surrounding a large centerpiece of flowers. At one end of the table there were two formal place settings. I had never seen the ornate China before, nor the fancy silver flatware.

What was going on?

"Mallory?" I heard Shawn say from behind me.

Turning, I saw him emerge from the master bedroom. He was dressed in black jeans, boots, and a dark gray textured button down shirt. Considering how we usually dressed around the house, this was very unusual apparel for a Monday night dinner.

"We're celebrating tonight," he said as he walked towards me. He took Grace from my arms. "Maybe you'd like to change into something dressier, though you don't have to if you don't want to. You're always beautiful."

"I'll change," I said, blushing slightly at his compliment.

I went into the bedroom and surveyed my choices. I was back to my pre-baby size, thanks to my recent illness. I selected a navy blue wrap dress. It was somewhat form-fitting and I'd always liked how I looked in it. I got dressed and slipped on some nude heels. I was thankful that I'd shaved for the doctor's appointment this morning, since I was showing some leg.

I went to the bathroom and frowned at my reflection. I looked like shit.

Quickly, I threw my hair up in a messy bun. It was honestly my only option since I currently had bed-head. I put on a little make-up, carefully concealing the bags that were still under my eyes. I added a thick coat of mascara hoping that would distract from how tired I looked these days. Finally, I sprayed a little perfume on my neck.

I walked out to the dining room where I saw that Shawn had dimmed the lights. Gracie was in her swing by the table, babbling away and staring at the flickering candles.

"It's the anniversary of when we met. That's what this is about, right?" I asked as I walked towards Shawn.

"You look gorgeous, hun. And I wasn't sure if you remembered," he said with a smile as he leaned in and kissed the top of my head. "It's a pretty big deal, you know."

I smiled. "It is."

"Without the events of one year ago today, we wouldn't be here and we wouldn't have our Gracie."

"It's definitely worth celebrating her conception," I said.

Shawn walked into the kitchen. "I got all your favorite Thai entrees."

I followed him. He had six different entrees on the counter, plus several other containers.

"That's an awful lot of food," I remarked.

"I didn't know which one of your usual orders you'd be in the mood for, so I got them all. There's also spring rolls and dumplings. I thought we do this buffet style."

"It looks amazing. I can't wait." I was literally salivating.

"What can I get you to drink? You're still pumping and dumping, so you can have a glass of champagne or white wine, right?"

"Champagne would be perfect," I said. "This is so sweet of you, Shawn. I'm blown away."

He went to the fridge and pulled out a bottle of champagne. I don't know my wines that well, but it looked expensive. I watched as he popped the cork. He then poured us each a glass into pretty cut glass flutes.

"Where have you been hiding the good China, silver, and crystal?" I asked after he handed me my drink.

He grinned. "I'm not telling. So, here's to fate bringing us together a year ago," he said as he held up his glass.

We clinked the flutes together and took sips. It tasted wonderful.

"Shall we eat?" he asked. "I know it's kind of early, but take-out food is always better when it's hot."

"Yes, please," I said as I set down my glass and picked up a pretty plate.

As I helped myself to an assortment of Thai food, Shawn put some music on. I smiled as I heard Daniel Caesar waft from the living room speakers into the dining area.

Once we were both seated, I reached over and touched Shawn's arm. "Thank you," I said softly.

"Anything for you," he said.

I felt my heart skip a beat. Part of me wanted to tell him to watch it with the overly romantic comments, but I couldn't do that when he'd put so much effort into tonight. I loved that he wanted to commemorate the night we'd made Gracie.

As we ate dinner, we talked about our plans for the rest of the week. His photographer was coming to town to do some promo shots for the upcoming album. I needed to schedule Gracie's next check-up. We wanted to start looking at bigger condos, so we talked about visiting a couple if we found listings that looked good.

After dinner, Shawn insisted that I relax on the couch while he blew out the candles, did the dishes, and put the food away. I got Grace out of her swing and put her on the floor to play.

After he'd cleaned up, Shawn sat down right next to me. He brought our champagne with him, both glasses refilled.

"I seriously might get drunk if I finish this," I joked. I was such a lightweight after pretty much not drinking for a year.

"Just like the night we met."

"There are some big differences between that night and now, though."

Shawn nodded. "We know each other a lot better now. We were practically strangers that night."

"And yet we made a baby. It's pretty crazy if you think about it," I said.

"Mal, I meant it when I said it was fate. I think that things happen for a reason. I think I walked by your booth at the festival because we were destined to meet that night."

I wasn't much of a believer in predestination. I felt we made our own fate.

"You could have happened upon a different girl that same night and had the same outcome. Or a different outcome if she'd had a condom or hadn't been ovulating. It's not necessarily fate, but just coincidence that one encounter between us lead to parenthood," I said.

"Such a skeptic," he said with a laugh. "You can believe that, but I know we were meant to be."

"You mean Gracie. She was meant to be. That's what we're celebrating tonight, after all," I said, correcting him.

"This isn't just a celebration of conceiving Gracie. It's a important that we met. I planned all this because it's our meetaversary, even if that word sounds way stupider out loud than in my head."

"Shawn-"

He interrupted, "We are married, Mallory. That means something, right?"

It did mean something. I knew it did. But at the same time, I knew it was temporary. It was a mistake for us to think we could have a loveless, or rather half-loveless, marriage.

"You can't do this," I said quietly.

"What exactly can't I do?"

"You can't play with my emotions. You know how I feel, and you don't feel the same. You're toying with me."

"That's where you are wrong, love."