Chapter 31

Shawn

Mallory's parents arrived late in the afternoon. My parents had just left with Aaliyah, minutes before they arrived. My sister spent an hour visiting and was already in love with her niece. She kept reminding us that she could babysit any time.

Mr. and Mrs. Everett were obviously exhausted from the drive by the time they got to Mallory's room, but seeing Grace gave them a second wind.

"She's the most beautiful little baby I've ever seen in my life," Mrs. Everett cooed as she held her granddaughter for the first time.

Mr. Everett let down his tough facade and actually teared up when he had his turn to hold her.

While they were taking turns with Grace, Dr. Abbott poked her head in the room and called my name. I stepped out in the hall with her. She led me to an empty private room.

"I want to submit the paternity tests before I leave today. We took the cord blood right after the birth. We need a blood sample from you, though. If you wait here, I will have a nurse take care of that."

"That's not necessary. I don't need the test," I said.

Dr. Abbott looked at me quizzically. "You're sure about this?"

"I'm sure. In fact, I've never been so sure of anything."

"I'm going to go examine your wife. I'll have to let her know your decision since the test was requested by her," she said.

"I'm really sorry. You know...about not being there. I had no idea she'd deliver early."

"You are not the first father I've had almost miss the delivery, or the first father to show up smelling like booze. You are the first to do both. If you have a problem with alcohol, I can recommend some treatment facilities."

"I don't, but thank you for your concern."

It stung to have her suggest that I had a drinking problem, but I understood how it looked from her perspective.

Dr. Abbott went back to Mal's room and cleared everyone out into the hall so that she could check her over. When she exited the room ten minutes later, she walked over to me.

"She'd like a minute alone with you."

I went into the room where Mallory sat upright in the bed. Grace was sleeping in her bassinet.

"You declined the test?" she asked me.

I shrugged. "I don't need it. She's mine. I know that."

"You aren't doing this just to make me less mad at you, are you?"

"No. This isn't about that. It's about Grace."

She nodded. "You can call my parents back in."

Mal's parents left to go to my parents' house when it was dinner time.

"You must be starving," Mallory said to me as she looked at her dinner. "You didn't get lunch today, did you?"

"I am a little hungry. Do you mind if I run down to the cafeteria for a sandwich?"

"I know you are tired, Shawn. Why don't you just go home. There's all that leftover food from the party, and you can just go straight to bed."

"I'm not leaving. I'm staying the night here. The nurse said that the reclining chair is meant for the dads who want to room in. You might need help with the baby tonight."

She didn't say anything.

"Unless you want me to leave. Do you not want me here?"

I felt a lump forming in my throat at the thought of being kicked out.