You can't have me {A Vampire Romance} [#1]

Original publish date: 7/27/2008

One stutter. Two. Silence. I took in a deep breath, reminding me of someone finally getting to breath after being strangled half-to-death or holding their breath for much too long. Where exactly was I?

Trying to gain some semblance of control over my panicking nerves and thoughts, I slowly rose from my spot on the cold, damp earth. I surveyed my surroundings and didn’t recognize anything. Of course, if you wander into a spooky forest you probably wouldn’t recognize anything because it all looks the same, but usually I was quite good at noticing traces of something familiar in the woods surrounding my small town.

As I searched for answers in my surroundings, I couldn’t shake the feeling I was being watched. It was odd. Sometimes I had felt I was being observed by some unknown source, but I merely blamed it on paranoia, now though, it was really getting to me. That also had lots of reasonable explanations too, right? I wasn’t just being a horribly panicky broad stuck in a forest somewhere I’d never been before, right? I hated feeling like a horror movie victim.

Then I noticed it. Something rising inside of me, something that had never before showed itself to me. If it had even been there before. My tongue darted out to moisten my dry lips and a need hit me hard and strong. Insatiable hunger, a lust for something you couldn’t buy from a store, but from a human. A human’s veins to be exact.

I could’ve screamed but I held myself in control. Why did I suddenly need blood and nothing else? I never had believed in vampires, I mean, honestly how could something like that live in the world today? Maybe a century ago, but not now. There was a reason for my powerful craving, though those words are in fact an understatement. I lurked deep within myself to recall last night’s events but all I could remember was walking down the sidewalk towards my shared apartment, and hearing someone call my name from an alleyway. Which is never good, but I followed the voice anyway.

I groaned. Understanding of how the horror flick victim’s felt dawned on me and I held a slight forgiveness for their stupidity. Now, I just needed to find a way out of here. The sun wouldn’t help because I couldn’t see it if I tried due to the overgrown trees, and if I was impossibly a creature of the night I would just end up a pile of dust in the middle of the forest. Awesome.

Walking was my only option, so I complied and just aimlessly strode through the forest, sending up a silent prayer I wasn’t just getting myself even more lost. After what seemed like hours of walking the forest began to thin and I felt a small surge of hope that I had reached the end of my prison. Bushes gave way to a large, open meadow shaded with dark blue thanks to the starry night sky. I rolled my eyed at the irony and began to walk through the millions of flowers. At least it was a change of scenery.

As I gracefully strode through I heard a rustling in the trees that lined the edges of my meadow. Thinking it was just an animal, I continued but picked up the pace a little just in case. A few more rustlings sounded and I began to sprint, my alarm system shrieking at me to keep going and not look back.

Dark silhouettes that looked to be human chased after me, leaving their hiding spots to try and catch me. I hadn’t really noticed that I was going faster than any human should be able to, and when I noticed I freaked out. I tried to stop but that only made me trip and fall on my face. I began to curse and panicked even more when I felt cold hands on my arms and deep quiet voices discussing something. Black dots clouded my vision and eventually I faded into unconsciousness.