You can't have me {A Vampire Romance} [#22]

Original Publish Date: 12/19/2008

 I gazed out the window over the kitchen sink, not really thinking, but just relaxing against the counter. I wasn’t really sure why a mansion of vampires had a kitchen, but it didn’t really matter. Wasn’t any of my business anyways. Sebastian sat at a stool at the island in the middle of the extensive room, and I could feel his eyes on my back; watching me just stand there and stare blankly. Neither of us broke the early “morning” silence, at least what was considered morning for us. It was a comfortable moment. Almost perfect.

 Suddenly the door swung open and I turned around. Entering was a sleepy Ariella, yawning and stretching as if she just rolled out of bed. I didn’t doubt that. I smiled at how much she resembled a zombie, and walked over to sit on Sebastian. Ariella laid her head on the counter for a few minutes, and then looked up at me and my mate. “Where did you two disappear to last night? The prince was pretty stumped that you left without word.”

 “I had a really bad headache and I begged Sebastian to take me back.” I said. It wasn’t the whole truth, but hey; she didn’t need to know the rest of the night’s events. Sebastian’s head was tipped down so his hair covered his face and Ariella could not see him. I heard his breath exhale in a slight laugh and could tell he was smirking.

 “Right. Well, if I were you I would be expecting a visit from him. I don’t think he’ll come today though.” She yawned again and turned away. I shook my head and Sebastian hugged me tightly.

 “Why does he want to be around me so much? I have nothing special to offer.” I whispered in Sebastian’s ear. He looked at me and a concern crossed his face.

 “Probably only the same thing that Hunter and the rest of these vampires want. I would hope anyways. I can’t think of anything else. I could try talking to him if you want me to.” Sebastian suggested in a whisper. I thought about the pros and cons for a minute, but ended up shaking my head. It may raise a few suspicions about things, and I didn’t want to offend the prince when I was so new to everything.

 I tried to get up off of Sebastian but he tightened his grip and didn’t let me leave. “Where do you think you’re going?” He whispered and I rolled my eyes.

 “Outside, where you can’t touch me.” I whispered back and he growled low in his throat. I smiled and pried his fingers off of me one-by-one. I got up and started walking across the room, Sebastian’s eyes practically drilling holes in my back with his fierce gaze. As soon as I reached the door and started to open it I heard him slowly stand and stalk me. I stepped out in the hallway and leaned against the wall, waiting for him to come out of the kitchen. In just a few seconds he was closing the door quietly behind him and looking at me with those beautiful eyes. He approached me silently, and I waited there expectantly. Suddenly though, a door down the hall slammed open and out came shouting people. Including the prince.

 Alaric spotted us and huffed over like a pissed off rhino. Sebastian and I exchanged confused looks and didn’t speak a word. The prince reached us and the other vampires that had filed out of the room came shortly after, looking like an angry mob.

 “What the hell happened to you two last night? You disappear, everyone leaves, and just a few short hours later my assistant is informing me that the mansion we used for the ball is in ruins; all evidence burnt to a pile of ash and stone!” He shouted vigorously. I swallowed hard and gripped Sebastian’s arm. Somehow I knew, whatever happened had to do with the visions I saw. Sebastian shifted his weight, as if preparing stealthily for an attack, and faced the prince squarely.

 “You really want to know? We came back here to spend time together, to make love. It doesn’t concern you, and as far as I know, both of us had nothing to do with whatever happened to your mansion. “His voice was fierce and everyone flinched away from the power of his tone. I felt a twisted sense of joy at the way everyone was afraid of my mate, but quickly banished it. The Prince gazed over at me and he knew that I was concealing information about what had happened. He began to walk towards me but Sebastian stepped in the way and the prince growled.

 “Give her to me.” Alaric said in a low voice. Sebastian began to growl. “We both know she knows something about it. Give her to me.” He repeated. Sebastian stayed put in his defensive stance. I wasn’t sure how this was going to end, but I had a feeling that the beautiful hallway decorated in greens was about to be splattered in red. I swallowed hard again, a lump in my throat almost causing me to choke. Sebastian’s muscles began to tense up so he could spring if necessary and I panicked. This couldn’t happen. I didn’t want it to. I had to tell him, but they would think I was crazy. The last thing I wanted was someone to die over something so stupid. I began to try to stop my mate from doing anything but he wouldn’t budge. He looked back at me with a predatory look in his eye.

 Then Sebastian jumped.