You can't have me {A Vampire Romance} [#5]

Original Publish Date: 10/4/2008

I stood there for a minute, going over the very few options I had. I could go door to door and knock, possibly find somebody to show me the way, but of course who knows how that would end up? I could go back and ask one of the weirded out vamps where my room is. I couldn’t stand seeing Sebastian laugh at me though. I sighed. It was time to resort to option 3. Go door to door and eavesdrop to see if I can find Trace and possibly my room.

I began to walk down the long hall, shakily at first but I steadied myself out and walked cautiously from one door to another. “Yeah, real great plan.” I grumbled to myself. I had only gotten to the fifth door when my skin started to crawl and the hair on the back of my neck began to stand up. I shivered a little but continued on.

My legs carried me faithfully to the next door, but I hesitated. Something had to be watching me, there was no other explanation. I took a deep breath and exhaled slowly, feeling equivalent to a horror movie victim. Slowly I turned to look behind me, but, to no surprise, nothing was there. I leaned back against the wall for a second, trying to calm my racing heart and gain control of my racing thoughts. Yeah, Trace was gonna get it.

For the first time I surveyed my surroundings. The hall was lined with a thick, royal blue and gold-fringed carpet. The walls were a pale blue floral wallpaper that looked like it had aged a little, and the tapestries were a silky silver that matched the silvery light cast by the moon on the trees and plants out the windows- which lined the opposite walls. Large windows they were, starting a foot above the floor and reaching to the top of the high cathedral ceilings. The woodwork for the door and window frames was dark and almost seemed out of place in the shades of blue, but it added a nice difference. I shook my head. Vampires were luxurious.

I turned back around, having calmed myself to a normal level, and put my ear comfortably against the door. I could barely hear the whispers within and I sighed once more. I was never going to find my way was I?

Just as I began to pull away I felt a hand on my shoulder and I nearly jumped out of my skin. A small sound escaped my throat that was similar to a muffled scream but a hand was placed over my mouth to cover it up.

“God, do you even know how to be quiet?” The person said to me and I rolled my eyes. I nipped at the palm of Sebastian’s hand so he would remove it from my mouth and he withdrew quickly. “Ow, what the hell?” He whispered and scowled at me.

“Well maybe you shouldn’t put your hand over my mouth and I won’t bite you.” I said with fake innocence.

“Whatever. Where’s Trace?” He asked, though I knew he could care less about my escort.

“He left me for dead.” I said sarcastically. I glared at him as he examined his hand and began to walk down the hall like I knew where I was going. Sebastian could go crawl into a ditch of stakes and die.

“Figures. Who wouldn’t?” He replied smugly and I growled at him. He just laughed at me and was suddenly right next to me. “Do you even know where you’re going?”

“As a matter of fact I do. Trace told me exactly where to go.” I lied. Sebastian was walking so close to me I could practically feel his body heat and I carefully moved away. It wasn’t too comfortable being close to him.

“Right. So then why did we just pass your door?” He asked, smirking.

I stopped in my tracks and looked over at him. “Maybe I’m not going to my room.” I said fiercely, daring him to do something. Anything.

“Well that’s-“He began but I cut him off.

“And why are you following me, what do you want Sebastian?” I asked, practically yelling. I may be making the relationship between us worse, but I definitely didn’t want it to be any better.