You can't have me {A Vampire Romance} [#28]

Original Publish Date: 1/26/2009

 It hadn’t even been that long. I was sitting in one of the entertainment rooms with Ariella, wrapped in a big huge fuzzy blanket, and she was sitting next to me, sighing every once and a while and deep in thought.

 Lucian walked into the room quietly, clearing his throat and waiting for us to look up. Ariella looked first, and then I did. He didn’t even attempt to smile or make anything seem better; he just kept a grim mask over his face – concealing whatever emotion he was feeling; if he felt anything at all. “They uh, they are finished testing.” He informed.

 “Good, what did they find?” Ariella asked in a low voice. I never thought I would see her shining face and good personality so worn and stressed as this.

 “Well, they think that the vamp hunters developed a disease that can drive us mad. Probably so we’ll expose ourselves and the world will rid of us. We’re trying to find a cure for Trace, and Sebastian is fighting it as best he can. Launa… he wants to talk to you.” Lucian said the last part almost in a whisper, knowing that it would be hard for me. Even though Lucian was as cold – if not colder – than Sebastian had first been towards me, I knew he cared about me because I had saved his brother from darkness.

 “I don’t want to be alone with him.” I said shakily. Lucian nodded and planted himself next to me on the side of the couch that hadn’t been occupied.

 “Little sister, he needs you. He’s strapped to a chair that’s made of foot-thick metal and bolted firmly into the ground. He can’t hurt you. I’ll stand outside the door if it helps.” He offered. I knew this was more than he would ever do for anyone, so with tears glistening in my eyes, I nodded my head.

 He bundled me up into his arms, which reminded me so much of Sebastian’s, and carried me to the door. Lucian set me down and opened the door so I could enter.

 The room was dark; really dark. But I could still see, fortunately. I walked slowly towards the limp form of my mate in the cold metal chair and couldn’t stop the few tears that slid down my cheeks. I stopped about a foot away from him. He caught my scent and his head flung up, his dark eyes filled with sorrow and regret.

 Sebastian struggled against the many chains binding him, but to no avail. Suddenly his eyes changed, furious and savage. He began snarling but gave a hoarse cry as if he were pulling a cart full of weights. His face twisted in pain and his entire body tensed, then his eyes changed back to what they had originally been and his body relaxed. I was guessing he had just fought a wave of madness.

 “I’m sorry.” His raspy voice said as his head hung low, and I had to hold back a sob. It was tearing my heart open to see him tortured like this, but I knew that if he were let go, he was capable of anything. Even killing me.

 “I know that… you didn’t mean to. I know you would never hurt me, but I don’t know how we’re ever going to get through this. You can’t keep fighting it.” I whispered.

 “I have to try.” He replied. The look on his face made me lose it, and I jumped into his lap and threw my arms around him. He took a raggedy breath to breath me in and I felt his entire being relax under my touch. I kissed his entire face, but mostly just his lips. If he didn’t survive whatever Trace had injected into him, I wouldn’t either. I wouldn’t be able to stand losing him like some had.

 “Little sister,” Lucian poked his head in the door. “It is time to go.”

 “Ok.” I said, and when my brother-in-law shut the door again, I kissed Sebastian one last time. “I love you, Sebastian.” I whispered in his ear and, even in his battered state, I felt him shiver in excitement.

 “I love you too.” He said, with the proof of those words in every fiber of his being. I nodded, and got up before I started to cry on him, and walked out to Lucian, where I was safe from my mate.

 “I want to see Trace. I need to know some things.” I said, and looked up at Lucian. He looked slightly surprised, but agreed and began to lead me to Trace’s keep. It was time for the asshole who ruined my life to fess up before we both died.