You can't have me {A Vampire Romance} [#29]

Original Publish Date: 1/26/2009

 Lucian opened up a door that led to a hallway made of metal walls and doors. Convenient for a prison, I thought to myself. From one of the ones at the very end, I could hear Trace growling and yelling to be let out. I battled myself not to walk out right there.

 We walked down the hall in silence, listening to the horrid sounds my friend was making, and when we finally reached him, it was in silence also. Lucian actually walked inside with me this time, and I noted that it was because Trace was too far gone to be trusted. His chair was three times as thick as Sebastian’s had been, and there were maybe four times the chains. It was a painful sight, but necessary to endure if I wanted to find anything out.

 “Launa…” He whispered in wonderment, which caught me off guard. He seemed entranced by me, almost as if I were a goddess or something.

 “Trace, what happened to you?” I asked him quietly, and he thought for a minute.

 “I think… I got kidnapped. It was more than once though. Sometime after we went to the club and you almost killed that chick, and again on my way to the ball. They… they injected me with something Launa, you have to help me!” He screamed. Trace was afraid of his own skin and I had to put forth my best effort to hold together the flood gates.

 “Trace, why did you attack Sebastian?” I asked, my voice shaky and weak. Trace’s face twisted with rage began snarling.

 “You’re mine!” He screamed and I nearly jumped out of my skin. “I’ll kill him!”

 “You will not!” I commanded, my voice booming throughout the cell. Trace’s snarling lessened into low growling, but was there all the same. Tears began to roll down my cheeks. I turned to Lucian, who was glaring fiercely at Trace, and ready to protect me at any moment. “Why did this have to happen to me?” I asked him in a whisper. Lucian shook his head and then hugged me. The next thing I knew, I was sitting next to Ariella again, with that damned fuzzy blanket.

 I’m always with you, even if I’m not in the right mind. Oh my love, I am so sorry… Sebastian’s voice whispered in my head, and I held onto the string of words tightly. I could feel him, almost as if we were in the same room, and it comforted me as much as was possible at this point in time.

 “Launa, we’re trying honey. I’m so sorry.” Ariella whispered with a concerned look on her face. I nodded as tears rolled down my cheeks. Lucian shifted uncomfortably in his chair across the room and I lowered my head to my knees so I could think. Hunter had given me his apologies earlier, and I had thanked him kindly.

 What had I done that was so wrong, so horrid that I deserved this? I didn’t even know if I was going to survive it, because if my mate died, so did I. I doubted I was strong enough to continue on without him as it has been said some vampires do, but they just became mindless, emotionless shells after their mate died. I just couldn’t do that. I couldn’t survive like a zombie while the world continued around me.

 I still had so much to learn too; my past was a black void, with only two things I had remembered. If I died… none of it would matter. I raised my head before I thought too much more, and found that the two vampires around me were lost in their own thoughts. What help they were.

 Hunter burst into the room then, terror clear on his face. Of course, the first thing he looked to was Ariella, and she did the same to him.

 “You, I want you to get out of here. Take Launa with you. Lucian, come on.” Hunter gestured toward the only other male in the room, and I exchanged confused looks with him.

 “Why? What’s happened?” I asked and Hunter shook his head, indicating he didn’t want me to know. The whole house was suddenly in an uproar and I heard screaming and running all around.

 “Tell me.” I said threateningly, and Hunter looked at me with shock at how serious and powerful my voice was. Well, I was pissed.

 “Trace has escaped and he’s going after Sebastian. He also let the other jailed vampires out. Some of them we are not worried about, but others…” He trailed off and I knew what he meant.

 “I’m going.” I said. Lucian and Hunter instantly straightened and protested. “I don’t care what you say, I am going. It is my mate, and my friend, thus my responsibility.” I informed and they nodded reluctantly. “Ariella, you should listen to your mate.” I suggested, and she was out the window in a flash. Well, at least she wanted to.

 I walked right past the two men and out the door. I looked down the hall both ways and started towards my mate. I made it through three halls, when I was stopped by a crazed vampire I guessed was probably in jail before Trace let him out. I raised my chin, took the stance Sebastian had taught me well, and prepared to fight him. I was as ready as I’d ever be, so I might as well use my anger to my advantage.