Chapter 16: Story of the Winter Soldier

Disguised as civilians, the Americas went back to the hospital to retrieve the flash drive from the vending machine.

(A/N Your outfit.)

)

But they saw that it was gone

But they saw that it was gone. Then they saw Natasha in the reflection, blowing some gum. They turned to her and Steve got her in a room while Y/N followed, locking the door behind her.

"Where is it?" Steve demanded.

"Safe," Natasha answered.

"Do better!" Steve demanded.

"Where did you two get it?" Natasha asked.

"Why would we tell you?" Steve remarked.

"Fury gave it to you. Why?" Natasha said.

"What's on it?" Steve asked.

"I don't know," Natasha answered.

"Stop lying!" Steve commanded.

"I only act like I know everything, Rogers," Natasha replied, looked at Y/N, who was leaning against the wall, then asked her, "And I suppose you're agreeing with your brother?"

"It's like you read my mind," Y/N answered, making Natasha sigh.

"I bet you knew Fury hired the pirates, didn't you?" Steve replied.

"Well, it makes sense. The ship was dirty, Fury needed a way in, so do the two of you," Natasha told him.

"He's not gonna ask you again. Trust me on that," Y/N warned.

"I know who killed Fury. Most of the intelligence community doesn't believe he exists, the ones who do call him the Winter Soldier. He's credited with over two dozen assassinations in the last fifty years," Natasha explained.

"So he's a ghost story," Steve said.

"Five years ago I was escorting a nuclear engineer out of Iran, somebody shot out my tires near Odessa. We lost control, went straight over a cliff, I pulled us out, but the Winter Soldier was there. I was covering my engineer, so he shot him straight through me," Natasha continued, showing them her scar on her stomach, and added, "Soviet slug, no rifling. Bye-bye bikinis."

"Yeah, I bet you look terrible in them now," Steve commented, making Y/N stifle a giggle.

A hint of a smile was shown on Natasha's face.

"Going after him is a dead end. I know, I've tried," Natasha said, held the flash drive, and told them, "Like you said, he's a ghost story."

Steve took the flash drive from her.

"Well, let's find out what the ghost wants," Y/N said and they were off.

As they were about to investigate, Pierce and the World Security Council decided to launch Project Insight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N The Winter Soldier. Hmm. I'm all about a ghost story.