1 | Fairy (I)

2412 Tull 15, Daleth

Ears are used for hearing things. They are on both sides of my head and they're definitely not pointed. Xanthy frowned at the mirror, the smooth surface mimicking her expression.

Xanthy leaned closer, squinted her eyes, and pinched the lobes of her ears. It's...real. Oh, no. Her stomach sank as she tried again. And again. They stayed the same. Big, fat, and most dreadful of all, pointed.

Indeed.

Xanthy slapped her cheeks. Wake up, wake up. She's not a fairy. She couldn't be. Maybe she just ate a magic mushroom from one of Rake's stash. However, that would be impossible because one, there were no magic mushrooms in this part of Cardina, and two, Rake didn't even give her anything.

A sigh escaped her lips as she drew away from the mirror and stared at herself from that distance. She looked as normal as a human in the Disfavoreds would look.

Fairies were bloodthirsty beings who killed Humans for fun. Those beings have extraordinary talents that could send them all to the Land of Wonders if they as much lift a finger. There was simply no way that Xanthy was suddenly one of them.

She raked her fingers down her dry locks and combed them to hide her ears. She'd have to figure out how to carve them back to their original, Human shape later. For now, the rest of the day loomed upon her like a gray cloud that graced the skies during the storm season.

Xanthy turned away from the mirror and made for the washroom at the back of the house. Her foot snagged against a stool and she cursed as pain flared up her leg. Stupid chair. Xanthy glared at the dark, wooden stool which was one of the four furnitures in this house. What in Umazure was this chair doing in her way?

She stepped away from the stool and passed a pile of abandoned possessions of some noble on her way to wash her face. A cough itched at her throat as dust tickled her nose. Ugh. She'd have to figure out a way to clean through this mess without disturbing the colony of cleret living underneath. If there's anything she hated most in her life, it's the existence of those bare-tailed animals.

The kitchen, or what's left of it, greeted her in all its rotten glory as she headed towards the wooden buckets piled at the end of the room. A door leading to the yard stood in front of her as she bent down and splashed collected rainwater to her face.

The water was lukewarm as it hit her skin. So, it's going to be a sunny day today. Xanthy sighed as she retrieved a rag to wipe her dripping face with. Something yowled at her foot and she recoiled just in time to avoid a white fuzz slinking into her feet.

"Harriet!" Xanthy hissed and a cat with white fur hissed back at her. "Scat!"

The cat, or at least that's what Xanthy thought the animal could be, flashed its beady blue eyes at her, as if saying, yeah, this is my house too, moron.